Mcat score of 27, gpa of 3.94

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khankorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just retook my Mcat and I got 27. I only improved by 2 points. While my gpa is 3.94. I also have one year research experience, volunteering and shadowing experience too.
What are my chances of getting into medical school? I am so freaking out right now I don't want to wait another year

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend who had a 3.7 GPA, 27 MCAT (although he only took it once) and no research. Got in straight out of undergrad. He was also white.

Are you a bad test taker?

3.94 GPA means you have the capability to take knowledge and process it well. It's just not translating into a higher score..

You have a good shot at DO and possibly some MD schools also.

A higher score will open more door but you should be able to get into a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a bad test taker?

3.94 GPA means you have the capability to take knowledge and process it well. It's just not translating into a higher score..

You have a good shot at DO and possibly some MD schools also.

A higher score will open more door but you should be able to get into a school.

Or OP went to an easy school

^very much seems like OP must have gone a pretty easy school..

In my opinion, it would be really advantageous if you took a year to build your resume and re-take the MCAT since you have such a strong GPA. One year of volunteering, shadowing, and research is decent but I'm wondering why you only have one year of each.. kind of seems like you just did one activity every year; many applicants balance several activities and take on intensive leadership roles throughout all four years.

No actually I have 2 years volunteering experience and one year research

I don't know if I am a bad test taker or not. I never had any problems with tests until I took the Mcat

What state are you in?

What is your score breakdown?

One year of volunteering, shadowing, and research is decent but I'm wondering why you only have one year of each.. kind of seems like you just did one activity every year; many applicants balance several activities and take on intensive leadership roles throughout all four years.

No. Just no.

Only on SDN is this below average and this only contributes to the crazy paranoia and obsessiveness that is so prevalent on SDN. In the real world, most applicants have 3-6 months of volunteering and a few months of research with nothing significant to show for it.

I applied super-late (eg late Sept/early Oct) with no volunteering/no shadowing and I still had several interviews and not once was my lack of volunteering/shadowing ever brought up. I did have a few years of research but that's only because I switched from a research career to a medical career.

Honestly, the only thing that stood out in my application was my MCAT (37). My GPA was strictly average at 3.67.

I am from Nevada but just moved to New York
My breakdown is VR 6 PS 11 BS 10

I am from Nevada but just moved to New York
My breakdown is VR 6 PS 11 BS 10

Ok...so your low score is in the V. Why is that? Is English your first language?

at least your grades reflect your B and P.

Why did you move to NY? You need to have Nev be your home state. Much better chance of getting into med school there then in NY or the NE area.

No. Just no.

Only on SDN is this below average and this only contributes to the crazy paranoia and obsessiveness that is so prevalent on SDN. In the real world, most applicants have 3-6 months of volunteering and a few months of research with nothing significant to show for it.

I applied super-late (eg late Sept/early Oct) with no volunteering/no shadowing and I still had several interviews and not once was my lack of volunteering/shadowing ever brought up. I did have a few years of research but that's only because I switched from a research career to a medical career.

Honestly, the only thing that stood out in my application was my MCAT (37). My GPA was strictly average at 3.67.

umm in your case you had a 37, OP has a 27, so without those ECs he is below average.

I just retook my Mcat and I got 27. I only improved by 2 points. While my gpa is 3.94. I also have one year research experience, volunteering and shadowing experience too.
What are my chances of getting into medical school? I am so freaking out right now I don't want to wait another year

The 6 in verbal is going to hurt you... you should at least have a 7 or 8... if you had a 9 or 10 in verbal you would be golden...

You could try for DO schools but I think the 6 in verbal is not ideal and may hurt you. Are you not fluent in English?

Members don't see this ad :)
A 6 in VR is too low. You should retake. I think that could get you screened out of DO even.

If the student is a male URM, and still has Nev residency, he might have a decent chance at his instate SOM.

If the student is a male URM, and still has Nev residency, he might have a decent chance at his instate SOM.

Just curious, does being male actually help? Most of the numbers I've looked at show a narrow advantage for women, but pretty close to a 50/50 split. I didn't realize it was actually a significant advantage.

Edit: I said that poorly. Most numbers I've looked at show women in a narrow majority.

Actually English is my third or fourth language and I only went to US university for my bachelors
VR was the hardest part for me knowing that I have a very little (of only four years) English comprehension and reading skills

Does it matter if I am a male or female? Do they account for English being as a secondary language as compared to primary in other cases?

Just curious, does being male actually help? Most of the numbers I've looked at show a narrow advantage for women, but pretty close to a 50/50 split. I didn't realize it was actually a significant advantage.

Edit: I said that poorly. Most numbers I've looked at show women in a narrow majority.

From what I understand, there aren't enough male URMs in medicine. I think that there are MORE female URMs, than there are male URMs. But, I could be wrong.

Actually English is my third or fourth language and I only went to US university for my bachelors
VR was the hardest part for me knowing that I have a very little (of only four years) English comprehension and reading skills

are you a US Citizen?

no. Just no.

Only on sdn is this below average and this only contributes to the crazy paranoia and obsessiveness that is so prevalent on sdn. In the real world, most applicants have 3-6 months of volunteering and a few months of research with nothing significant to show for it.

I applied super-late (eg late sept/early oct) with no volunteering/no shadowing and i still had several interviews and not once was my lack of volunteering/shadowing ever brought up. I did have a few years of research but that's only because i switched from a research career to a medical career.

Honestly, the only thing that stood out in my application was my mcat (37). My gpa was strictly average at 3.67.

+1

Are you a URM? If so, which one? Are you male or female?

Why did you change state residencies? Can you reestablish your Nev residency?

I am female I think I still have nev residence because it has been only a month that I have been here in New York
I have to move because my husband is going to grad school here

The poor VR score is lethal for MD schools, and many (but not all) DO schools. You at least have the option of NYIT and TUCOM-NY, and probably PCOM for starters.

Does it matter if I am a male or female? Do they account for English being as a secondary language as compared to primary in other cases?

They will not cut you slack for the low VR score regardless if it is because English is not your primary language. It will help that you speak multiple languages, but they will want fluency and high comprehension of the English language since you are applying to US med schools.

Are you a URM?

Your residency is tricky since you're married. It's no longer tied to where your parents live. I don't know if you can still claim Nev because you're married, you've moved away, and you no longer have a home there.

It sounds like you're a US citizen that lived most of your life abroad, and only came to the US for your undergrad, hence your English issues.

Your problem will be that your app won't make it thru the initial computer screening/down-selection process unless maybe you're a URM and exceptions are sometimes made for that.

Are you going to apply to some DO schools?