MPH MCAT scores for MPH application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redalbum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Currently a first-year medical student and have been contemplating taking a year off between 3rd and 4th year to pursue an MPH. Many of the schools I am interested in applying to take the MCAT score in lieu of the GREs.

Currently looking at Brown, Boston University, Columbia, Tufts, Dartmouth, and Yale among others.

My question is how important is the writing score of the MCAT in admissions to MPH programs? Overall GPA and Science GPA are both 3.70 and a 32L on the MCAT. Simply put, the writing score is bad. It was a total non-factor for MD admissions, and as a result, I payed no attention to it haha.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Much thanks in advance!
(And I apologize if this is in the wrong section?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would assume it has very little meaning to MPH programs. I know for the GRE, most schools barely take notice of your analytical writing score. In general, your SoP is going to be a better factor in displaying your writing ability than the writing portion of the MCAT/GRE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry one bit about the writing section.

Also, do you have to have a standardized test score to get into an MPH program if you're applying as a 3rd year medical student? I could do some more research into this if I wanted to, but I felt that you probably didn't need to (I don't think a med student would have time to study for the GRE during med school anyways. If most students end up using their MCAT scores instead, then that's good).

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry one bit about the writing section.

Also, do you have to have a standardized test score to get into an MPH program if you're applying as a 3rd year medical student? I could do some more research into this if I wanted to, but I felt that you probably didn't need to (I don't think a med student would have time to study for the GRE during med school anyways. If most students end up using their MCAT scores instead, then that's good).

Well it appears that many of the MPH programs i'm interested in do accept the MCAT score. So I will most likely use that. Thanks!

The writing section hasn't been on the MCAT for almost two years. You should be fine.