• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

MCAT scores: most recent or average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabdoc1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I had a question about the MCAT score and the way they are reported.

Are the medical schools taking averages for previous MCAT scores or just taking a look at the most recent? I dont think I did good and planning to take it again in August.

Now I know we have to list all the scores of our MCATs but I always thought the schools specifically said on their websites that only the most recent MCAT is looked at.

Does anyone know which schools take the average and which look at the most recent?

thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

wannabdoc1 said:
Hey. I had a question about the MCAT score and the way they are reported.

Are the medical schools taking averages for previous MCAT scores or just taking a look at the most recent? I dont think I did good and planning to take it again in August.

Now I know we have to list all the scores of our MCATs but I always thought the schools specifically said on their websites that only the most recent MCAT is looked at.

Does anyone know which schools take the average and which look at the most recent?

thanks a bunch.

Each school has its own particular policy or approach when it comes to this issue. Some schools will take your highest score from each section... eg. if you took it twice, and got 11 11 9 and 9 11 11 respectively, they'd consider you at 11 11 11. Other schools will average it. Other schools may only consider the most recent.

Your best bet, if you are really curious about a specific school, is to get it straight from the horse's mouth and *contact the admission office.*

Don't worry about feeling bad about the exam right now - you never know! You may have done a lot better than you think!! :) It might be better NOT to retake. Just wait until mid-June to make this decision, when you have actual scores to base this decision on. It would be wise, however, to continue preparing in May in case you feel you want to take it again - this way you get a bit more studying time, which is pretty essential because you really should strive to do better the second time (in case schools only take the most recent, or at least weight them more heavily)

crazy_cavalier said:
Each school has its own particular policy or approach when it comes to this issue. Some schools will take your highest score from each section... eg. if you took it twice, and got 11 11 9 and 9 11 11 respectively, they'd consider you at 11 11 11. Other schools will average it. Other schools may only consider the most recent.

Your best bet, if you are really curious about a specific school, is to get it straight from the horse's mouth and *contact the admission office.*

Don't worry about feeling bad about the exam right now - you never know! You may have done a lot better than you think!! :) It might be better NOT to retake. Just wait until mid-June to make this decision, when you have actual scores to base this decision on. It would be wise, however, to continue preparing in May in case you feel you want to take it again - this way you get a bit more studying time, which is pretty essential because you really should strive to do better the second time (in case schools only take the most recent, or at least weight them more heavily)

thanks for the reply crazy cavalier
so i guess i have to find out what the school pollicies are. that will help in applying for next year
cheers

seriously cavalier...good post. I'm actually calling up all the med schools that I'm am interesting in first thing monday morning and seeing what their policy is on the MCAT. I think that may help influence my decision a bit.

Good post!!! take initiative, contact the schools