MCAT studiers for the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justforgotfrag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you study 24/7 during the summer? Did you do anything else beside studying (research, shadowing, etc.)?
Currently, I am deciding whether I should stay at school or at home for the summer.
I know that I study better at school, but then I have to take care of cooking, laundry, grocery, etc. Also, I can maybe do some research and volunteering!
At home though, I don't know if I am going to be productive,but then I do not have to worry about cooking and other stuffs.
What did you guys do?Any inputs would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can afford to take off work for the summer and focus on your MCAT, you should do that. The lower the amount of the your simultaneous obligations, distractions and stress, the higher the likelihood of scoring well.

Between staying at home and school would be more of a personal decision but I would stay school as you said you are more likely to be productive there. Those miscellaneous tasks you listed are petty imo.

My schedule will be:

8 am ~ 4 or 5 PM : shadowing + research

And then study till 11 pm.

The MCAT is an important test, and it is a beast but please do not burn yourselves out. You have a long way to go, make sure you pack a little bit of fun in the sun into those summer plans!

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be getting in at least 8 hours per day, other wise you're doing it wrong! That being said you also need to do fun stuff and relax.

Even though I shouldn't be, I'm working this summer as a scribe. It helps that I have irregular hours, though, because I can still divide the day into large chunks of study time. It's also actually proven helpful as I learn some biology and work some biology passages, because I've seen a lot of the diseases they're talking about and can put some context behind things. For example, I just reviewed anaerobic respiration, and was able to remember that it is bad in excess due to a buildup of lactic acid, which is toxic, because I see people with high lactic acid = sepsis at work. So I don't think that doing other things is all bad! They might be able to help you, too :)

You should be getting in at least 8 hours per day, other wise you're doing it wrong! That being said you also need to do fun stuff and relax.

I'm assuming you're joking. :laugh::thumbup:

There's no 100% right way to study for this, but there are numerous wrong ways. Good luck folks, studying for the MCAT on bright summer days sucks. I did it last summer.

The only thing that sucks more than studying during the summer is having to do it all over again during the semester! Buckle down now and enjoy the fruits of a less stressful semester. :smuggrin: