MCAT study material summarization, what to emphasize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigreiski

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best way to summarize the material from MCAT study books? Which aspects, topics should I concentrate on more? What to emphesize? Memorizing formulas?
I have:
BR (bio, chem, ochem, phys)
EK (BIO 101, VERBAL 101, 1001 series besides bio)
Princeton (Verbal passages)

Members don't see this ad.

You have to memorize all the physics formulas that are relevant to the aamc PS topics list..my list was 50+ formulas. Basically you need to know every single topic on the aamc topic lists...that means memorize every orgo reaction too.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to memorize all the physics formulas that are relevant to the aamc PS topics list..my list was 50+ formulas. Basically you need to know every single topic on the aamc topic lists...that means memorize every orgo reaction too.
I'm definitely going to disagree with this. Memorization of equations/reactions is not very important.

This is SOOOOO far from the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what you guys are talking about...Good luck to you on PS if you don't know the kinematic equations, fluid mechanics formulas, electricity/circuitry/magnetism formulas, optic formulas, etc, etc, etc, etc...I don't know what planet you live on, but there are most certainly a few dozen relationships you absolutely NEED to know. You may be able to get away with not memorizing organic chemistry reactions if you have a solid intuition regarding mechanisms...but GOD HELP YOU if you go into physics without having memorized formulas.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about...Good luck to you on PS if you don't know the kinematic equations, fluid mechanics formulas, electricity/circuitry/magnetism formulas, optic formulas, etc, etc, etc, etc...I don't know what planet you live on, but there are most certainly a few dozen relationships you absolutely NEED to know. You may be able to get away with not memorizing organic chemistry reactions if you have a solid intuition regarding mechanisms...but GOD HELP YOU if you go into physics without having memorized formulas.
Sure, you need to know kinematics. Fluid mechanics? I'm pretty sure I didn't review bernoulli or navier-stokes equations for the mcat. It was more like understanding basic pressure relationships. Electricity and magnetism is knowing the basics like ohms law, power, etc. and then understanding of things like capacitors vs resistors in parallel or series. And kirchoff's laws, but that's not really equations. I have never needed the lens equation on the real test or practice tests. Those problems can be done with diagrams.

So yes, there are some equations you should know. But success on the test is not memorizing a list of equations.

I'm not saying you don't need to know ANY equations. I am just saying that memorizing every single organic chemistry reaction is going to be a massive waste of time. Yes, you should memoriZe your physics equations. However, some of the weird ones, for example, your sheer deformation, you don't need to know.

where can i see a suggested list of "must know" formulas