MCAT Study Strategy 2021?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could someone please help me with regards to my MCAT next year? I am looking at testing in Mid-July and applying the same month. Would studying for 2-2.5 months be sufficient if I had all the pre-reqs under my belt? Could someone recommend a good set of study materials? I definitely would like to get as much of the AAMC material if possible and whatever else is recommended. Also, a study plan would be great if there are any that might fit my schedule and are effective.

Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

There are many excellent study plans posted here at SDN. You should start by figuring out how you learn best, and then searching for specific study plans built around your preferences. You might want to start with the SDN 100 Day Plan that is stickied.

Hi All,

Could someone please help me with regards to my MCAT next year? I am looking at testing in Mid-July and applying the same month. Would studying for 2-2.5 months be sufficient if I had all the pre-reqs under my belt? Could someone recommend a good set of study materials? I definitely would like to get as much of the AAMC material if possible and whatever else is recommended. Also, a study plan would be great if there are any that might fit my schedule and are effective.

Thank you for any help!

To your first Q, I think that depends on how fresh the pre-reqs are in your mind. I had to pretty much re-teach myself psych even though I've taken 3 psych courses because it had been so long since them. Writing out a plan and seeing how manageable that is for you after a week or two is probably your best bet.

I liked the Kaplan review books because they were really content heavy and I had to brush up on quite a bit. Everyone has their preferences though so you might want to check out what other people have to say about other review books to see what kind might work for you. I would def recommend stretching out your use of the AAMC material, or using it last, and using third party practice exams while you are first getting into the groove of test taking (many parties give access to practice exams "free" when you buy the books). Some supplement material that I recommend would also be the Kaplan study cards, and their quiz pack if you have like $70 to shell out. I found both of these a big help- the cards when I wanted to do passive recall and the quizzes when I wanted to practice applications without wasting AAMC practice banks.

Reactions: 1 user