MCAT takings

LoneRising

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering a career in medicine even though I have anywhere from 1-3 years before I have to make a decision. I do have a question about the college part of the studying, when you undergo your MCAT exam, should you fail, can you take it again? Also, if you can retake it, do you have to wait a year or something before doing it again?
It's just one of those deciding factor's in my decision making.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can retake the MCAT, but it's definitely not something you want to go through twice if you do not have to. I don't believe you have to wait a year before taking it again.

You definitely want to get the MCAT right the first time. Also, you can't really fail, per se, but you can do poorly enough on it that acceptance to med school is unlikely. It's like the SAT/ACT in that respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right thanks guys! :)

I have another question, if any surgeons read this, is being a surgeon fun? Depsite the long hours in the OR and all?

And another question for those who've done their residency, what are the usual things you're told to do in your intern year?

If you would like to learn more about the MCAT process you may click on the link in my signature. Thereis no limit to how many times you may take the mcat, however, the aamc (american association of medical colleges) allow only 3 mcats per year. Medical achool do see every mcat u take, therefore it is strongly sugeested not to take it more than twice (you may not chose which score you would like to release either).

For surgery, it all depends on the person you ask. However, i've noticed that for surgery, you either love it or you hate it--there is no inbetween and many people who think they hate surgery find out in med school that they have a hidden passion for it. I would try shadowing a surgeon into the OR and see what you think about it.

I don't think you should be worrying about your intership at this point of your life. its too far down the line and you should stay focus at the steps that are at hand, like getting into college or taking you SAT.