Mcat tutoring options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringdoc46933

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Pre-Med student at the University of Miami and I am about to begin my preparation for the MCAT; however, I am uncertain as to which tutoring service would be the most effective. Some of the more popular options seem to be ExamKrackers, Kaplan, PrincetonReview ect... However, I have been intrigued by a less popular option: "Next Step Prep". Do any of you have information regarding the effectiveness of their tutoring service? They offer it through Skype (which I love because its 1-1 as opposed to a class), and it seems as though they have a pretty good track record. I haven't been able to find much information online outside of the reviews posted on their website, and I was curious as to whether or not anybody on this forum was tutored by them or if you all know of anyone that was tutored by them. The price is pretty hefty, so before I commit to them I want to be sure that they will provide a service that is as good, or better than ExamK, Kaplan, PrincetonR ect.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey aspiringdoc,
Next Step tutor here. Obviously, I'm biased so I hope you get some other responses here. However, here's some thoughts about what we do.
  • One-on-one tutoring is the focus of what we do. While the prep course companies offer tutoring as well, our folks are trained specifically to deliver customized tutoring as opposed to being trained to teach a class. If you want the experience of working with a big group in a lecture environment we can't help you, but if you're looking for one-on-one MCAT tutoring this is the right place.
  • We generally have higher instructor hiring standards, and we'll be happy to talk you through the specific tutor match we have in mind for you before you commit to tutoring. We really believe that instructor quality is important.
  • You've already seen our website, but there's a ton of videos and written reviews available: http://nextsteptestprep.com/testimonials-2/
  • You can get a good idea of our teaching style from our posts on SDN: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours.970/
Thanks -- feel free to direct message me if you have questions, or you can always give us a call or email on our website.

Happy holidays!!

I am of the opinion that if you are not a dimwit you should be able to take the prereqs, then self study and do decently well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never tried NST and encourage you to look into it. Another option that worked well for me was Wyzant. I found Wyzant when I was looking for a tutor and after I was well fed up with so many tutoring companies wanting me to pay them hundreds of dollars and commit to a tutor who I never met. I personally credit Wyzant for my good MCAT score because they allowed me to pick my own tutor without any commitment and to get my money back for the first meeting up to $100 if I didn't find the tutor helpful. After an extensive search for a tutor, I have not found any policy that comes close to being as generous as that one. I am just very happy with them.

All these commenters sound like they have a stake in what their advocating (just my .02 cents).

Self study man. You are going to be self studying in med school so might as well figure this stuff out now.

Reactions: 1 users
Self study. Much cheaper.

100% self study. If you are smart enough to do well on the MCAT, you are smart enough to take practice exams and analyze your weak spots, address those weak spots, and learn the strategies available in prep books or online - which is all that tutors will really do for you. Content review requires hundreds of hours and is not something you should rely on tutor help for. There is really no reason for it unless you hate possessing money.