MCAT tutoring? yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junemcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone benefited from prep classes or any private tutoring?

Or is it just a waste of time and money?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the person.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
I studied 99% on my own with practice tests and books. I then did a few sessions with a private tutor to make sure I don't mess up verbal, and I got a 40 on my second attempt. 99% of your MCAT score will come from your own hard work, it is up to you if that 1% is really necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a guy that applied twice and both times he was told the issue was his MCAT. He hired a private tutor and went up 6 points(old test) and was accepted. But that is n=1. It probably depends on the person and their confidence etc.

This goes both ways, OP

It really depends on the applicant AND who you have as instructor/tutor

I used a coach and it helped me push my score from ~500 to 521 on the sample tests in 12 weeks. She would text me everyday and make sure I was on track. My test day got rescheduled because of the snowstorm and she met with me every day for free so I would still feel ready. The exam was still difficult because it was long but I didn't feel nervous at all! I found her through craigslist but I think she runs this company now www.axilogy.com/ :)

Stop spamming. Go away.

Hey everyone!

Thanks!
Some people liked it. For me it was a total waste of money. Did Kaplan my first time - got like a 26 or something. Three years later I took it without prep (during this time - I had taught/tutored kids on Chen and physics - so I guess it counts indirectly as studying).

Perhaps I was just not as nervous but scored way higher. Zero prep. Never went back and reviewed orgo.