MCAT w/o Physics 2 + O-Chem 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajp98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm in a bit of a Dilemma. I was originally planning on taking my MCAT in January, after taking Physics 2. But many people are recommending to study this summer, and then take it in September. Only problem is that I wont have taken Physics 2 or O-Chem 2.

Do you think I can self-study Physics 2 part of the MCAT or O-Chem 2 if required? Or should I wait and then take in January?

Also, I'll be studying from books and Khan Academy, but i'm thinking about getting the Kaplan online self-paced course as a supplement? Am I on the right track?

Members don't see this ad.

Very little Ochem 2 is on the exam (if any?? I don't recall specifically, but I hadn't taken it either.) And there are a handful of things from Physics 2 that you'll need, but they are pretty easy to teach yourself. I think that's totally self-studyable. However, what's the benefit to taking it in September versus in January? Will you have more time to study because it's summer? I'm just curious why that's been recommended to you.

The general rule of thumb for a course is that they are good for accountability. There's nothing in a course that you can't teach yourself through other means, but it can be extremely helpful in terms of keeping you on schedule and giving you a kind of community and one extra resource. If you need/want that, then go for it. Are you studying from MCAT books, or text books? You need at least one set of MCAT specific books, and as many practice questions/exams as you can get your hands on.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be fine. I didn't have all the recommended prereqs done before I took my MCAT (mainly physiology and psych) but I went through the Khan Academy video series on all the missing content and was caught up with relative ease. Sometimes I had to do some extra Googling or Youtubing to better grasp things, but it was still very manageable. Plus, Physics 2 and Org 2 are not really as high yield as other recommended prereqs.