MCAT with Computer Science / Engineering background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ITtoPsyc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Bachelors in Computer Engineering and MS in Management Information Science. I want to study and be a Psychotherapist / Psychology and earn the prestigious "Dr." tag. In the process I would like to know if I'm eligible to sit for MCAT and go to a med school.? If not, do I have to go the pre-req courses path.?

Thanks and All the best !!!

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are talking about two completely different things here. Anyone can sit the MCAT. However, medical schools have coursework requirements on top of the MCAT that you must fulfill before matriculation. For someone with your background this would probably be a postbac program where you take all the premed classes (chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, biochemistry, biology, etc) that you didn't take during your undergrad degree.

Finally, you do not need an MD to become a psychologist, even one who counsels patients. It is entirely possible to become a clinical psychologist or licensed mental health counselor with a PhD or Master's in psychology (and with the former you would still be known as "Dr"). You only need an MD to become a psychiatrist, capable of prescribing medication and admitting patients to the hospital