MCAT writing sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dyk343

I hear alot of people say that schools tell them to get a "23" on the MCAT to be in good standing etc, etc. What about the writing sample? Do schools say get a certain letter on the exam? Or is it not that important for podiatry admissions. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The Writing Sample was brought into the MCAT to bring more balance to the exam, and perhaps in the future it will carry more weight, but for now it is nearly useless. A "good" score (perhaps O or above) means nothing...only a dreadful score like J can hurt you. I have not heard of the score carrying any weight in admissions; the numerical score on the MCAT means everything.

The Writing Sample was brought into the MCAT to bring more balance to the exam, and perhaps in the future it will carry more weight, but for now it is nearly useless. A "good" score (perhaps O or above) means nothing...only a dreadful score like J can hurt you. I have not heard of the score carrying any weight in admissions; the numerical score on the MCAT means everything.

Exactly, and this goes for M.D. and D.O. schools as well. Your writing sample can hurt you, but it is not going to help you much. So, the take home lesson is: Don't spend too much time learning how to write perfect essays (focus on P.S., V.R. and B.S.).

Thats what I figured, but I wanted to ask since studying for physics section on the MCAT isn't going so well and I wanted to concentrate more time there. Thanks for the responses!