MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciderbun96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did you guys study for your MCAT? I'm taking mine next April and I want to get a head start because I'm a notoriously bad test taker. I was just curious the avg length a typical pre pod studies for the MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I studied in my spare time for 2-3 months and got a 32. Even after weeks and weeks of studying I still felt underprepared. I could've done better if I had more time to study or better luck of the draw on questions. (My lowest AAMC practice test score was a 31and I believe my highest was a 38. Those practice tests were within a couple of days of each other so I would expect luck of the draw could potentially have a huge impact on score range)

Some people may tell you to just study for 2 or 3 weeks and try to do just well enough to get in. I would recommend though really taking your time and giving it your all. However much you study, you won't FEEL prepared and you likely won't actually BE prepared either. Keep in mind that this one test will directly affect the rest of your life and other than the luck of the draw, how well you perform on it is completely in your hands. Also, this is not a test that you want to have to take more than once.

Take a few months, study well, perform well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
"Keep in mind that this one test will directly affect the rest of your life". Haha no pressure there...kidding. Yes, I want to get at least a 26. I don't think that's asking too much seeing as it's slightly above average. 32 is quite impressive, I would love to get that score but I don't think that's realistic. I studied quite a bit for my ACT and only got a 22.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to dedicate 5 months of studying. I spent the first couple of months just reviewing the material. However, I felt I made the most improvements once I started practice tests/questions. The last 2-3 months I was spending probably at least 8 hours a day doing these after I got home from my day job. Familiarizing yourself with the format of the test is definitely crucial to your success due to the fact that apart from just knowing concepts, you'll see them put to use in what are essentially scientific journal excerpts which require you to dig through dense, extraneous information. I went into the test feeling fairly confident based off of my practice tests, but ended up scoring a bit lower than I anticipated with a 504. And this came down to it just being a really hard test that can trip you up no matter how much time you have put into preparing. I personally felt like I guessed through most of my sociology/psychology section, which had stuff in it that I had never even seen before. Since you say you are a bad test taker, certainly give yourself some time, take it seriously, study smart, and there's no reason you can't score the equivalent of a 32 or better!

Reactions: 2 users
I would emphasize what @Justintxc said in regards to the format of the test. The way they ask questions takes some getting used to. There are some ALMOST straight-forward standalone questions, but I believe these are in the minority. Allot yourself plenty of time for practice questions, especially their passage-based practice questions.

Also remember that at this point the MCAT won't just be getting you into school, but it can be a large determinant in how much of a first-year scholarship you are offered. This one test could end up saving you 5,000-10,000 dollars or more. But, no pressure, lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I studied for 3 months, but I wasn't extremely efficient or consistent. Give yourself as much time as you possibly can honestly... but still make sure you have time to do fun stuff too! Make a schedule that is DOABLE. Do enough content review to know at least a little of everything on the AAMC guide, then do practice questions/tests to death. That's the only way I found I could be efficient and improve my scores more rapidly. Good luck to you, my friend.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone! My #1 is temple, and I knowing they favor high MCAT scores.

Personal preference: optimal time 2-3months max. Any longer and I feel like I'm making excuses to keep dragging it out.

-Dec-Jan: TPR winter hell (man that cost a pretty penny...was very helpful though).

-Jan- 2 weeks: Content review/Practice exams. (Knew I wasn't ready content-wise, school and work kicked up those same 2 weeks).

Signed up for June 18th soon as score came out Feb 20th. Knew I could do better. Wanted to murder it this time.

-Mid-May: content review and memorizing stuff. Stopped that (wasn't effective for me). Ran through ****load of practice problems instead. Would run through each section (got used to studying/focus in 1.5hr blocks) then go through and do corrections/learn. Was much more effective than memorizing stuff.

***Did not have time to do full length practice tests 2x per week like I wanted to. Made up for it by pushing through 2-3 sections each day and thoroughly studying the corrections.

Hardest parts personally: Physics was a complete crapshoot. Concepts- meh easy to get down. Formulas? Not so much. Suffered in this area. Ochem was also hard (AminoAcids are high yeiled, know structure, polarity, acid or base) but these 2 subjects had always been personal weak spots. Reviewed what I knew but didn't dabble in what I couldn't retain.

Easier parts personally: Always had a strong suit in CARS and Psych/Soc. Even without psych/soc background, its a lot of common sense stuff you can deduce. Difficulty in CARS was staying awake enough to get the whole passage in my own words and remember where everything was in the passage. Hardest part of psych/soc was reviewing lots of concepts and definitions/vocabulary.

Personal Weaknesses found: Lots of questions missed due to simply not being awake/alert enough. Would miss questions because either read the question wrong (except/least/not) or eyes glazed over in the passage when answer was explicitly in passage. This affected both Bio sections and CARS/PSYCH (lots of long passages).

Things that helped the second time around: Lots of sleep (that flew out the window the night before but countered with a little coffee and light meals), figuring out what times you start getting drowsy (me it was after heavy carb meals or around certain times in the afternoon), pack light meals and get used to pushing 1.5hr-2hr pure focused blocks.

Last but not least (probably an unpopular opinion) I used the time left over DURING the actual exam to take naps. 5-10min with head down eyes closed helped me stay alert. Then go over questions I marked or had issues on. Never had an issue with time management on any section so used that to my advantage to give eyes a rest. Lots of strain from staring at computer screen and you'll forget to blink.

Sorry for the block of text. TL;DR- Use practice problems to learn material, focus on 1.5hr blocks, take naps if have to during actual exam day.

Biochemistry lab and lecture is not requirement for pod school and my degree however I understand taking a course in biochemistry is very beneficial for the MCAT. Would the lab be necessary or will just the biochem lecture suffice as I prepare for the MCAT?

Biochemistry lab and lecture is not requirement for pod school and my degree however I understand taking a course in biochemistry is very beneficial for the MCAT. Would the lab be necessary or will just the biochem lecture suffice as I prepare for the MCAT?

The lecture would probably suffice. I enjoyed my biochem lab, but anything you miss by not taking lab you can make up for it when you study for the MCAT and review materials anyways. I'd say if you really don't want to do the lab, then don't, but if you have the time that semester then do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Lecture will suffice. You will have a section on molecular biology that discusses lab techniques and theory.

Edit: didn't realize you already had an answer.

I feel like my practice exams from Kaplan had passages that were 2-3 paragraphs shorter than my actual test... I suggest only giving yourself 1hr 15 min to take sections to prepare for this. I am gonna try and retake mine in September. :)

I feel like my practice exams from Kaplan had passages that were 2-3 paragraphs shorter than my actual test... I suggest only giving yourself 1hr 15 min to take sections to prepare for this. I am gonna try and retake mine in September. :)
Don't you have II this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright here is my summary of each:

Physics/orgo: Easyish, I knew 75% of the stuff(I think). It was mostly Wave questions, no; fluid dynamics, motion or electricity(well only 1). I had literally 10 sp hyb questions in regards to organic chem. The O chem they don't ask for specific names, but you need to know the basics, "How many ketones are in the structure? Amides? Amines?". All my orgo was sp and oxi-redox biochem mechanisms.

Biochem/Bio: I probably did ok. A lot of enzyme/substrate stuff. Not a lot of glyc, krebs, or metabolism(I was pissed). A lot of receptor questions a few which I got an easy Q wrong and its still pissing me off right now(Acetylcholinesterase!!!!!).

Psych: was alot alot a lot of disease and sociology. I felt it was easy, but I never really studied soc. so this means I was 50/50 on most sociology questions.

CARS: Shoot me. 20% of the passages were boring and 2x harder/longer than the ones I practiced from Kaplan. If I have to retake, I will practice this more. I underestimated the stress it gave me.

I only took a 3 minute break to pee and chug a bottle of dihydrogen oxide. So, I went in at 7:45am and left at 1:00pm.

I see a lot of people posting that they only studied for the MCAT for 2-3 months. I know everyone is different so Im going to put down my take on the MCAT. I would give yourself at least 4 months if you want to get 500+ and 2-3 if youre looking for 485-499 area (depending on study habits). I gave myself 3 months and found myself stressing to cram. Another nugget: if you are going to take a class through kaplan I have some advise for it (and for the MCAT in general)
1. MCAT prep courses are expensive so you can google something called Kaplan Starting Line. If you have a decent gpa they can give you up to 60% off of Kaplan courses. Its extremely easy to apply. they call it a "kaplan scholarship"
2. take the class early so that you have 1 month to study after the class is over. That is the biggest learning period.
3. take practice tests every week at least 4 weeks leading up to the test. It really helps get you used to the length.
4. take the time to go over the practice test. It may take you the whole day but that is something I wish I would have done better
5. I didnt find the online tutors worth it. The only thing I really liked about them is giving me motivation and understanding my studying timeline

I hope this helps people. obviously this has some opinion built into it so do it your own way but this is what I recomend

I see a lot of people posting that they only studied for the MCAT for 2-3 months. I know everyone is different so Im going to put down my take on the MCAT. I would give yourself at least 4 months if you want to get 500+ and 2-3 if youre looking for 485-499 area (depending on study habits). I gave myself 3 months and found myself stressing to cram. Another nugget: if you are going to take a class through kaplan I have some advise for it (and for the MCAT in general)
1. MCAT prep courses are expensive so you can google something called Kaplan Starting Line. If you have a decent gpa they can give you up to 60% off of Kaplan courses. Its extremely easy to apply. they call it a "kaplan scholarship"
2. take the class early so that you have 1 month to study after the class is over. That is the biggest learning period.
3. take practice tests every week at least 4 weeks leading up to the test. It really helps get you used to the length.
4. take the time to go over the practice test. It may take you the whole day but that is something I wish I would have done better
5. I didnt find the online tutors worth it. The only thing I really liked about them is giving me motivation and understanding my studying timeline

I hope this helps people. obviously this has some opinion built into it so do it your own way but this is what I recomend

Had no idea about number 1.
These things are hella expensive.

Had no idea about number 1.
These things are hella expensive.
Yeah I was extremely lucky because I had a friend who showed me it before I payed. If I hadn't had it there was no way I could have afforded it. I'm pretty sure no one even reads the application and its on an automated system because I received "scholarship acceptance" literally 3 minutes after applying.

In all honesty, the bar is set so low in terms of MCAT for Podiatry school, that if it was your number one choice, I'd say spending more than 3 months studying for most people is a waste of time. If you majored in biology/Chem/science then you already took classes that give you the knowledge you need, assuming you actually studied and worked hard in your classes. The only thing you need to do is get used to the long passages and type of questions. The best thing albeit the most boring thing you can do, is practice the verbal reasoning or critical analysis or whatever it's called now and do a lot of passages. The MCAT is all about inference and critical thinking. Yes you do need a lot of information in your brain but it's all basic information from basic science classes. The passages tell you everything else. If you can learn to read the passages and think critically, the MCAT becomes much easier. Just from that you can probably score in the 490's easily with a month of good studying, and with a bit more effort into studying the parts that give you the most trouble will net you a solid score setting you up for scholarships.

This was the advice a friend who scored a 35 on the MCAT told me. The CARS section is the most important one to study and is the one most overlooked by everyone. I don't want to brag or toot my own horn because I feel like my MCAT was ****, but I did what he said, and studied for literally a few weeks doing just practice problems to get used to it but still got scholarships at every school I interviewed at. And got II's at all schools I applied...(except Barry, they straight rejected me for some reason like 3 months after my application was in and I had interviewed everywhere else) Im not saying try to get by by doing the minimum, but Podiatry does have a low bar, and whether you get a 500 or 520 you most likely are getting the same scholarship and getting into all of the schools. Study hard, but more importantly study smart.