Mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treese

Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, every one. I plan to take the MCAT in April of 2005, and also apply to enter in 2006, for the people that have taken the MCAT, what helped you? I brought the Kaplan review book, and I started reviewing. Also do you think it is wise to take more then one science at a time to knock your pre-reqs out?

Members don't see this ad.

We've got Audio Osmosis..mostly it just cracks us up...its fun listening though! Great for our commute to and from school.

-april MCAT here too! goodluck!!!

April 2005 too! :scared:
I have the Examkrackers 5th edition, as well as the 1001 for each subject, and the Audio Osmosis. Also, starting my Berkeley Review collection and will take a course, Princeton Review or Kaplan... still deciding... :D

I'm the kind of person to overpack so I plan on using a lot to prepare... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I may sound dumb, but what are Examkrackers? and where can I buy them? I'm going to see how i do with self review then i will see if i need to pay the money for the review courses.

ExamKrackers

I really like ExamKrackers--good layout, info presented in "easy to digest format," and they almost make studying their guides fun (I know there is only so much fun one can have studying MCAT materials ;) ).

By the way, you can find the books cheaper at Barnes and Noble, and other big chain bookstores online.

Good luck.

drumming :D

Depending on how much structure you like, I used the Princeton Review's Hyperlearning course (in classroom) and loved it. My original goal was to get back to the point where I could match the MCAT scores I got during my UGrad tests 9-10 years previously. I made that goal on the second diag and went on to add 4 points to my previous best score despite 7 years out of school.

It's expensive and less flexible than studying only at home, but it was hugely helpful for me.

drumming207 said:
ExamKrackers

I really like ExamKrackers--good layout, info presented in "easy to digest format," and they almost make studying their guides fun (I know there is only so much fun one can have studying MCAT materials ;) ).

By the way, you can find the books cheaper at Barnes and Noble, and other big chain bookstores online.

Good luck.

drumming :D

Shop around though, when I bought Audio Osmosis last year I got it from walmart.com for about $50 less than B&N or Amazon.

Ditto on EK. Do a search in the MCAT forum; there are a ton of EK-related threads with scores.

It worked well for me.

MoosePilot said:
Depending on how much structure you like, I used the Princeton Review's Hyperlearning course (in classroom) and loved it. .

I've heard good things about PR tests from the course. I looked around on ebay and googled to no avail. From readings posts here, I hear you can't go wrong with EK 1001 (101?) for verbal, but the other two you're better off getting the tests through PR???

I'm thinking my bag will be something like:
1. EK AO
2. EK 1001 (101?) Verbal
3. EK Complete Series 6th ed. (when it comes out)
4. PR Hyperlearning tests???

I took the TPR course and the only thing I learned was that I study better on my own. So I got the EK books and Verbal 1001. It was awesome. Where were those damn books when I was taking the prereq courses?

Treese said:
Hi, every one. I plan to take the MCAT in April of 2005, and also apply to enter in 2006, for the people that have taken the MCAT, what helped you? I brought the Kaplan review book, and I started reviewing. Also do you think it is wise to take more then one science at a time to knock your pre-reqs out?

Review & do as many practice tests as you can.

As far as the pre-reqs, most schools want to see that you can succeed in multiple science classes since that's what you'll be doing (times 10) in med school.

Kaplan really helped me a lot. Their test bank is great -- excellent examples of test questions. It's pricey, but adding 7 points to my composite was worth it.

:thumbup: username, btw.

I have both Audiolearn and AudioOsmosis and I must say that the examkrakers is much better.

I listen to the CD on my commute to/from work and it works.

April 2005 MCAT participant as well

WYLD STALLIONS RULE

Since no one has posted about the Kaplan course yet, I thought I would.

I took the Kaplan course and I thought it was ok. For me it was great because it sets a schedule and keeps you focused and on track. My teacher was pretty good, but I've heard there are some lousy ones. The tests were o.k., but I thought they weren't really indicative of the real MCAT...Kaplan PS sections were WAY too hard.

I increased my score 10 points over the initial diagnostic.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I agree - ExamKrackers (www.examkrackers.com)

I work full time (and school full time) and found the CDs were great to listen to on the drive and at work. I work nights and often have mindless, repetitive work that allows me to listen and work and it really made it stick. I wouldn't use the CDs alone, but I used them in conjunction with the books and felt it was a great combination. The 1001 Question books were great, too. I guess I'll know for sure how well they worked for me when the MCAT scores are released in October.