Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do about my very low MCAT score? I studied for 8 mo. and was scoring consistenly in the high 20s. I already have a PharmD and my other stats are great (3.72 undergrad, 3.75 Pharm.D, ECs, research, shadowing, clinical experience). I scored a 21 and really do not want to delay another year. I am pressed for time as I already work 10hr days. It seems like by the time I get home I am already exhausted and then its time to hit the books, which makes it difficult to concentrate. I know it has been done, but should I just apply with this score or retake and take the chance it comes out low again? My plan was to apply to Morehouse or Mercer EDP.

Members don't see this ad.

the route you are about to take is overrated

I can not imagine you get into an MD school with that MCAT unless it was on an island

It seems like your MCAT score is too low to get into MD schools. Do you think that Mercer and Morehouse take people w/scores that low? Just asking.

It seems like you could do better on the MCAT if you studies, and perhaps cut back your work hours and sleep more, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like your MCAT score is too low to get into MD schools. Do you think that Mercer and Morehouse take people w/scores that low? Just asking.

It seems like you could do better on the MCAT if you studies, and perhaps cut back your work hours and sleep more, etc.

I know their avg. MCAT acceptance scores are lower than the national. I want to say Morehouse is around 27, while Mercer around 29. I know its a long shot but I don't know how much better my retake will be.

man you want to do this bad...what about the island...or DO or DPM...dang you can even go to nursing school and become a doctor now

What did you use to study the first time? How many AAMC tests did you take? If you were consistently scoring high 20s, maybe you just had bad luck on the test you took, or had bad test anxiety. I used ExamKrackers (books and Audio Osmosis) and really liked them for self-study. Good luck to you!

What did you use to study the first time? How many AAMC tests did you take? If you were consistently scoring high 20s, maybe you just had bad luck on the test you took, or had bad test anxiety. I used ExamKrackers (books and Audio Osmosis) and really liked them for self-study. Good luck to you!

I used the Kaplan Premier Book, and this time around I am using EK (taking July 17th). I have started EK Bio and man what a difference. Honestly, I think the Premier book is a piece of crap. I was scoring consistent 28s on my AAMC tests (I took 3-7) and a few kalpan ones. To the other poster, yes, I want to do this really bad, but will not move to an island (plus I don't think my wife would be to happy to leave the mainland lol). I will use EK for chem and NOVA physics. So, we will see what happens. Thanks

Study before work. Wake up 4 hours earlier each day, then go to sleep immediately after work. Get rid of your tv or computer or whatever is the least productive allocation of your time.

8 months is a long time to study. They say you're only supposed to prep for 3 months or you risk burnout.

But if you want to take another crack at it this summer, here's what I'd do:

1) try to get time off from work to study. It's hard to really learn the stuff when you're already tired. Assuming you're not burnt out already, 1-3 months would be ideal to do nothing but study. But even if you could get a week off to study between now and your test date in July that'd probably help.

2) Read the EK books cover to cover, doing all the practice problems while timing yourself. Do every practice problem you can get your hands on and develop a "system" for each type of problem. Concentrate on your weakest section. Air on the side of breadth, not depth. Try to learn the concepts behind each kind of problem - if you're memorizing lots of stuff, you're doing it the wrong way.

3) If this was your first time taking the MCAT, remember you can take it twice more before any school might hold it against you. IMO, the MCAT is mostly a crapshoot: my scores on practice tests ranged by about +/- 5 points, and I think the outcome depends mostly on whether they tested you on things you're good at or things your not so good at. So, next time you sit down for the exam, just remember it's all bull**** anyways and don't get too nervous. If you scored in the high 20's before, you'll probably score around there again if you keep at it.

PS your stats seem good enough that you could probably make it in somewhere even with a 3 point improvement, though I'd bet you'll do better than that

Last edited:
I agree with everything said above. I would add two things:

First, wait until you have the MCAT score up. You have everything else in place, and waiting a year, though I know it sounds painful, is NOTHING compared to the benefit of going to a US medical school over one on the islands.

Second, in addition to everything Wombat said, try integrating what you're studying into your daily life. Put little stickies up around the apartment or house. Draw chemical diagrams while you commute, or have downtime. You want to place more and more of this stuff into your long-term memory, and the best way to do that is to continually access and work with this information.

I also want to stress Wombat's point that you need to study when you're fresh. It will not hurt to study when you're tired; if you have the time, then, even though you're tired, look through some material. But your schedule should include study time when you're awake and able to fully concentrate.

You need to do a thorough assessment of what went wrong on previous tests. What accounts for your score? Was the weakness across the board? Memory problems? Test anxiety? Then you need to hit those weaknesses.

But listen. There's no rush. Take a breath. Rushing off to an island medical school because you can't wait a year is silly. You've got everything in place. Do this right, and a few years down the road you'll be thanking yourself for not rushing.