... Mcat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninearm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what score I would need on the MCAT in order to be comfortable when applying for a seat in an osteopathic school.

Have: Research, awards, volunteer work, shadowing, teaching and leadership positions.

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what score I would need on the MCAT in order to be comfortable when applying for a seat in an osteopathic school.
3.78 cGPA 3.52 sGPA

Have: Research, awards, volunteer work, shadowing, teaching and leadership positions.

With a 3.8 GPA, you'll probably get acceptances with an MCAT as low as 24 - if you apply broadly. However, if you want to be 'comfortable', then I'd say a 28 would be right around that threshold. Do as well as you can, though.

28+ and you could apply to MD schools and have a shot.
28+ and you would be very appealing to every DO school in the country I suspect.

Agreed with above. Get a 28+. Aim higher. If you make that your goal I would say don't take the real deal until you've hit a few low 30s on AAMC practices with some consistency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have met people with around your GPA and 24-26 MCAT with multiple interviews and acceptances from DO.

Thank you all for the feedback. It seems that from all of your posts the average consensus is around a 27. But just as tarheel and as121 said I should and will aim as high as possible, I've been averaging in the 27/26 range on practice exams. We will see... anything can happen on test day.

gmc thanks for your reply.. do you know which schools they received an acceptance from?

23 and you will be competitive

really a 23 for competitive?
might be too low?

25 or higher and you're set.

Hello Everyone,

3.78 cGPA 3.52 sGPA

Thank you all for the feedback. It seems that from all of your posts the average consensus is around a 27. But just as tarheel and as121 said I should and will aim as high as possible, I've been averaging in the 27/26 range on practice exams. We will see... anything can happen on test day.

gmc thanks for your reply.. do you know which schools they received an acceptance from?

That number seems about right, 26-27.

25 or higher and you're set.

I'll try my best to get above the average for a matriculant, which is a 26. Does anyone have any other tips or info before I apply for the next cycle?

I have seen plenty of people with 23's and GPA's in the low 3.0 range get into schools such as WCU, LMU, ACOM, UP-KYCOM, PCOM-Ga,and MU-COM.

I have seen plenty of people with 23's and GPA's in the low 3.0 range get into schools such as WCU, LMU, ACOM, UP-KYCOM, PCOM-Ga,and MU-COM.

in-state students?

Good for you. Getting in != competitive.