MCAT2015.....what do you want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTWreck1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So..to keep it short...I can't figure this test out. AAMC (9,10,11) average under test conditions = 32

First MCAT 10/8/10 = 28
Second MCAT 9/11/8 = 28

And with seats filled..its unfortunate that I will probably have to take on the new and improved beast...MCAT2015

I'd like to get started now...does anyone have any insightful recommendations on how to prepare for this new exam? I know I can do much better than my 28...and it's disappointing that my results don't reflect that. Hope I can help others who are in a similar situation...let's get started on tackling this beast together! For what it's worth...I've sent out 5 apps so far...1 rejection...1 interview invite..and 3 waiting (probably rejections after my last MCAT)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratsss on your interview!!!
Getting an II with the first MCAT score means that your MCAT score was NOT an impediment in the academic metrics part of evaluation. Ace that interview!!

Also, there are many schools who use the highest composite → so in your case that would be 10/11/10 for a 31.

Thanks for the encouragement...I definitely need it. As far as the composite...I am looking into that now ...and might be adding on a few schools ;)

Apologies for straying off topic but I'm just curious if your gpa, rec, and extracurricular were all excellent and if it's just your MCAT that you're worried about. I'm taking mine next week and my average is very close to your score and I'm worried if I cannot find a seat to retake and if I get my avg score..whether I should take the new MCAT or apply next year and hope for the best. As what the other poster said, getting an interview means they've looked past your stats and now you just need to ace it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My gpa is sub-par...at a 3.66...though from an institution known to be extremely rigorous (I know most med schools find it hard to differentiate GPA among undergrad schools)...as far as recs...they should be good! I chose not to have access to them..so it's hard to assess that aspect of my application...my extra curriculars were probably par for most pre meds...shadowing, volunteering, etc. Nothing that stands out in particular...but nothing lacking that may be cause for concern. That's my truncated assessment.

Reactions: 1 user
My gpa is sub-par...at a 3.66...though from an institution known to be extremely rigorous (I know most med schools find it hard to differentiate GPA among undergrad schools)...as far as recs...they should be good! I chose not to have access to them..so it's hard to assess that aspect of my application...my extra curriculars were probably par for most pre meds...shadowing, volunteering, etc. Nothing that stands out in particular...but nothing lacking that may be cause for concern. That's my truncated assessment.

Thanks for the info. I feel I may have hope. :) Best of luck to you and rock that interview!

Congrats on the interview. Good luck!!!

I've got bunches of threads up about the new MCAT. Just check out my profile page and click through to see the stuff I've written about it. Way too much to summarize here.

But hopefully you won't need it!!

How did you improve your verbal score from 8 to 11?

Honestly...I focused on active reading...the first time around was a fluke..I would read...then faze out often..second mcat..I made a consistent effort to read..and if not completely undeerstood...I would reread a sentence slowly...I left more time to reading the passages and truly understanding the authors intent the second time around. Also...I did several passages from ek verbal to get a better feel for what the writer wanted us to ascertain from the passages. Sorry I can't be of more help...but I anticipated a 9 or 10 the first time...I'mjust sad to see my b.s. drop to 8...I never made below a 10 on any of the practice exams or my first mcat...not sure what happened :(