MCATs for URMs versus non-URMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDHopeful2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that the "median" MCAT score for matriculated medical school students is about a 30. However, this average includes MCAT scores from URM's, which tend to be lower. Without getting into a social-political debate here about the why's and all that, what is the actual MCAT score for a non-URM, one that is considered competitive? From a site like MDApplicants I tend to see lots of mid to upper 30's scores, typically by non-URM's. The lower 30's and upper 20's (for matriculated students) tend to be URM's. In effect, while 30 seems to be the average for matriculated medical school students, it's based on two distinct subgroups, and so if I am a non-URM, a lower 30's score is actually NOT competitive for my pool of non-URM's (while it is for a URM pool).

I'd appreciate feedback here on the numbers. I do not want to encourage any sort of debate on the URM issue- it is what it is. But adcoms probably account for this factor, even if they do not have a standard or official policy about it. Saying that a score is equally competitive regardless of URM status is naive, IMHO. Also, ceteris paribus: grades, EC's, LOR's, I don't want the standard PC answer : "Well the adcoms take a holistic approach to your application." I know that. Right. But give me real numbers here, for URM's versus non-URMs as far as the MCAT, all else being similar.

What is a competitive MCAT score for a non-URM? A URM?

Members don't see this ad.

I read that the "median" MCAT score for matriculated medical school students is about a 30. However, this average includes MCAT scores from URM's, which tend to be lower. Without getting into a social-political debate here about the why's and all that, what is the actual MCAT score for a non-URM, one that is considered competitive? From a site like MDApplicants I tend to see lots of mid to upper 30's scores, typically by non-URM's. The lower 30's and upper 20's (for matriculated students) tend to be URM's. In effect, while 30 seems to be the average for matriculated medical school students, it's based on two distinct subgroups, and so if I am a non-URM, a lower 30's score is actually NOT competitive for my pool of non-URM's (while it is for a URM pool).

I'd appreciate feedback here on the numbers. I do not want to encourage any sort of debate on the URM issue- it is what it is. But adcoms probably account for this factor, even if they do not have a standard or official policy about it. Saying that a score is equally competitive regardless of URM status is naive, IMHO. Also, ceteris paribus: grades, EC's, LOR's, I don't want the standard PC answer : "Well the adcoms take a holistic approach to your application." I know that. Right. But give me real numbers here, for URM's versus non-URMs as far as the MCAT, all else being similar.

What is a competitive MCAT score for a non-URM? A URM?

You may not be trying to start a flame war, but that's what usually happens with threads like these. If you have a 30-31, you're average. This means that your MCAT score won't stand out, but it also won't prevent you from getting into a (non-top 20) medical school. So, a 31 is decently competitive, URM or not.

This website will answer your questions on specific numbers:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mcatgparaceeth.htm

Your concern about "subgroups" is exaggerated, because URMs don't represent a huge proportion of the matriculants. Obviously there will be some differences, but don't lose any sleep over it.

As for MDApps...search for "mdapplicant" on the SDN forums. You don't even need to read the threads, just read the titles.

Just get over a 31, and you're good.

MDapps is not a representative sample.

White/Asians have an average around 30-31. URMs dont change the overall averages much.

I think that a 30 is fine so long as you're not gunning for a "top tier" school (and even then, some people do get into "top tier" schools with a 30 who are not URM - there are other intangibles at work there). I have a 30 (with an 8 in PS), and I've received 8 interview invites this cycle. And I'm not a URM. The bottom line here is that there is a lot more to an app than just numbers, and that there's no point obsessing about MCAT scores (URM or not). Just do the best that you can, and present the best application that you can. Then apply early and broadly, and cross your fingers....