McGill clinical program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JediJeff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm researching clinical programs, I'm very interested in McGill but am worried after reading the APA's recent announcement that by 2014, Canadian programs will no longer be accredited. I'm going to be a college freshman in the fall which means that I wouldn't be receiving a Ph.D. until 2014 or most likely well after that. Will it be wise to apply to McGill's clinical program in the future despite the fact that it's doomed in terms of accreditation? I don't see how McGill could ever be looked upon as inferior to American programs since it's one of the world's leading research universities, so who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn the APA, McGill is a great program.

In the next few years, Canadian programs will be solely accredited by the Canadian equivalent of APA - the Canadian Psychological Association. It's about time we had independence :)
McGill has a very good reputation, it's a very CBT-oriented program and extremely hard to get into since ~500 people apply per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
That does suck. I hear great things about the program at McGill.
In terms of what that means... I can only guess, but I would say, if you're solely interested in research/teaching at a university setting, you're probably fine. However, if you're interested in clinical work in the US (or think you might be interested), it would probably be a lot more difficult and maybe not worth it?

You should email McGill and see what they say. Maybe the APA and CPA are working to make some sort of equivalency deal.

I don't think it will make it more difficult at all. I think there will certainly be some sort of equivilance.

I think it's great you are thinking about this now. Preparation is half the battle! For now, if I were you, I'd play it by ear, research a bunch of strong American programs that match your interests as well and follow-up with McGill when the time comes. Who knows, it may not even be an issue by then.

Random question: I'm not too familiar with Americans attending Canadian programs...Does McGill fully fund American students? I think this would also be an important consideration to keep in mind.