MCPHS Waitlist Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dani91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I recently received a letter in the mail from MCPHS saying that I was on the waitlist, but I have not had an interview. Is this common and what do you think it means? I was under the impression that students are placed on a waitlist once they have had an interview.

If anyone has any information on what this means or if anyone has had this happen to them could you please let me know what ended up happening? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I recently received a letter in the mail from MCPHS saying that I was on the waitlist, but I have not had an interview. Is this common and what do you think it means? I was under the impression that students are placed on a waitlist once they have had an interview.

If anyone has any information on what this means or if anyone has had this happen to them could you please let me know what ended up happening? Thank you!

You need to call the Admission office and ask them directly. There may have been a mistake as they have made few mistakes in reviewing my pre-req courses and others have complained about it too.

Okay, I was planning on giving them a call tomorrow. I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I was planning on giving them a call tomorrow. I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks!
Hello, were you able to find out if that was a mistake or not?

Hi, yes I did speak with someone in admissions yesterday. It's actually not a mistake and all a apart of their process. Apparently there is a wait list and during the spring they evaluate who should be coming off of that list and admitted. I've never had a school do it in this particular way so I am not too sure on the specifics, but it's not a mistake :)

Hi, yes I did speak with someone in admissions yesterday. It's actually not a mistake and all a apart of their process. Apparently there is a wait list and during the spring they evaluate who should be coming off of that list and admitted. I've never had a school do it in this particular way so I am not too sure on the specifics, but it's not a mistake :)
Good for you. However, that's really odd that they put someone in waitlist without an actual interviews. I know that iaupr known to accept students without an interview. Nonetheless, wish you best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! But, I completely agree with you. I find it strange that there's a waitlist before interviews happen. Especially considering that they have the latest completion dates for the OAT and their application.

I also got a letter from MCPHS a while ago, I called and asked about that and I was told there was an interview process after being waitlisted...

That's kinda frustrating isn't it? It's like we're on hold before even getting there! I find it odd since there's no way they could have filled all of their seats already right?

That's kinda frustrating isn't it? It's like we're on hold before even getting there! I find it odd since there's no way they could have filled all of their seats already right?
I agree with you.

I just heard back today from the MCPHS after sending in my updated OAT scores. I should be receiving a letter within the next week or two to schedule an interview. So that might answer the question if MCPHS does interviews after the waitlist.

That's great news, congratulations! Thank you for letting us know. Did they contact you through email this time or was it another letter in the mail?

That's great news, congratulations! Thank you for letting us know. Did they contact you through email this time or was it another letter in the mail?
Thanks, I got a call from an admission counselor that my application was reviewed again due to the OAT update, I should be getting a letter in regards to information about the interview and setting it up.

Hope you hear back soon as well. Any other schools you applied to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I got a call from an admission counselor that my application was reviewed again due to the OAT update, I should be getting a letter in regards to information about the interview and setting it up.

Hope you hear back soon as well. Any other schools you applied to?

Okay, thanks for letting me know! Good luck on the interview :)

I did apply to a few other schools and I've interviewed at UIWRSO recently, but I got placed on the alternate list. My chemistry score of my OAT brought down my overall by a good amount so I'm retaking it in a month and hopefully improving. How did you study for your retake? Or did you only take it once?

Thanks! So far Indiana and MCPHS are only ones I've heard back from where I have interviews set up. Although, Indiana doesnt do formal interviews, it's more of a meet and greet with faculty and students and they give you a decision a few days later.

At least you already had one interview done, sorry to hear you are wait listed though. I didn't do that great my first time. My total score was 300 and total science was 290. I used chads videos / course saver which really helped. If I would've had some more time to review I'm sure I would've done even better on my retake. I just retook my oat one week ago and got a 320 on both total average and total science.

Congratulations on Indiana! I'm sure one if not both of those schools will accept you with your new OAT score!

But thanks, my OAT TS was 300 and my AA was 280 so that's why I'm hoping to improve. It's just a little daunting to begin studying for it all over again since I thought I was going to do better the first time than I actually did. I was thinking of using Chad's and just reviewing my notes since I'm not sure what else I could do in a months time frame.

Thanks! I think everyone's goal is to get into at least one school right? Haha. I highly recommend chads videos, it's affordable and its a great way to review everything. Not only do you review the material but he gives you some good test taking strategies to save you time and get you the correct answers on the test. I got a 290 in gen chem my first time and brought it up to a 320 this second time. I'm sure I could've done better if I would've finished the gen Chem video series but had to review for Ochem and physics as well....

Yes, it is for sure! :)

I'll definitely use them again! I was just so shocked at my score on gen Chem on the OAT because it's actually my favorite subject and I enjoy it. Maybe it was just nerves or bad luck, hopefully this times better.

Good luck with studying! My best subject so far was biology which makes sense considering I'm a bio major and is my favorite subject. Gen. chem has usually been my weakest point but with chads videos it actually wasn't all that bad.

Anyone heard back from MCPHS after being waitlisted??

Anyone heard back from MCPHS after being waitlisted??
Yeah, I got a letter a while ago I was wait listed, After I retook my OAT and improved my scores, I think they called me and sent me letter about a week later. I interviewed and got accepted. Don't get worried if you're waitlisted. I'm sure there's still space left.

Yeah, I got a letter a while ago I was wait listed, After I retook my OAT and improved my scores, I think they called me and sent me letter about a week later. I interviewed and got accepted. Don't get worried if you're waitlisted. I'm sure there's still space left.
Thanks for the response ac12345! Yeah, admissions told me that there are still seats left, but since its April, I'm getting worried! Are you attending MCPHS in the fall??

Thanks for the response ac12345! Yeah, admissions told me that there are still seats left, but since its April, I'm getting worried! Are you attending MCPHS in the fall??
I'm sure you'll get a spot. I was pretty worried about getting in as well but I kept contact with them and it turned out well. I was going to go there but after checking out the school in Indiana and getting accepted there I decided to go to IU instead. Any program will teach you the same things in the end but it's a matter of preference if you are able to have options.

I just gave up my seat, so there should be one more available.

I'm sure you'll get a spot. I was pretty worried about getting in as well but I kept contact with them and it turned out well. I was going to go there but after checking out the school in Indiana and getting accepted there I decided to go to IU instead. Any program will teach you the same things in the end but it's a matter of preference if you are able to have options.

I hope so! I'm just hoping for some good news soon! And congrats on choosing IU. I'm sure you'll love it there and make a great optometrist!

I just gave up my seat, so there should be one more available.
Sweet! Thanks for letting me know Xtermination. I'm hoping for the best! If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up choosing to go?

I hope so! I'm just hoping for some good news soon! And congrats on choosing IU. I'm sure you'll love it there and make a great optometrist!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to school there. Where else are you waiting on if you don't kind me asking?

Not sure if it's related or not -- but I'm a current MCPHS student and this coming Monday/Tuesday is our visit from the accreditation people -- they'll be coming to check out the site and faculty and students and stuff. Things have been pretty hectic so I'm guessing waitlisting may have something to do with that? My guess it's after that's over they'll have more time for the admissions! Good luck :)

Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully that's what the delay might be. How do you like MCPHS?

Hello everyone. I am also on waitlist for MCPHS. I really hope that they still have spots open. I am extremely worried and nervous, because I think its too late to hear back from them. I received waitlist letter in mail long time ago without an interview process, but there is no updates since then. Lets cross finger for all of us who are waiting.

Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully that's what the delay might be. How do you like MCPHS?
I really like it here!! I've had no problems thus far. If you have an specific questions feel free to ask or PM me! :) I heard today (2nd hand so Idk how true) that next years class is about 75% full, just an fyi :)

Last edited:
I really liked the school, as a new school it is on the right track and have advanced pretty well in just three years. Even though, the clinic is small I loved their clinic because they have all the latest equipment. If I didn't get anywhere else I'd definitely attend there.

I really liked the school, as a new school it is on the right track and have advanced pretty well in just three years. Even though, the clinic is small I loved their clinic because they have all the latest equipment. If I didn't get anywhere else I'd definitely attend there.
The clinic isn't small IMO. Idk what the size of other schools are, but our in-school clinic has probably about 30-35 exam lanes (+testing rooms, conference rooms, etc). Not including the pre-clinic practice area for us students. And, you can be assigned off-campus family health centers to do you clinic time as well so everyone is pretty spread out among a few locations.

Anyone know how long it typically takes to get any word of getting wait listed or an interview after submitting your applications?

Has anyone who is on the waitlist heard back for an interview? Or does anyone how full the class is as of now?

I got an interview after being waitlisted for a few months, but I retook my OAT and heard back within about a week after submitting my new scores.

I got an interview after being waitlisted for a few months, but I retook my OAT and heard back within about a week after submitting my new scores.
Hello,

I noticed on OPTOMCAS that MCPHS extended their deadline from May 1 to June 1. Does this mean that the seats are not filled yet?
Thanks!

Hello,

I noticed on OPTOMCAS that MCPHS extended their deadline from May 1 to June 1. Does this mean that the seats are not filled yet?
Thanks!
That's what I'm thinking too. I don't see why else they would extend it..

Hey I was wondering how you prepared for your interview and what kinds of questions they asked you?

Hey I was wondering how you prepared for your interview and what kinds of questions they asked you?
I didn't prepare much at all really. I was very relaxed about the whole process. My interview went well. They asked typical questions like: why optometry? What is one thing I overcame and how did you do that? What kind of person do want to be in the future? Etc...

Hello,

Thanks!

Does this mean that they aren't going to look at the people on the waitlist people until later now? Since they are still accepting new applications until June 1?? Oh man this is so stressful.

Does this mean that they aren't going to look at the people on the waitlist people until later now? Since they are still accepting new applications until June 1?? Oh man this is so stressful.

Hello, I'm not really sure. I've heard of people getting interviews to other schools later in the cycle, but they are interviews to be on the waitlist. If the student made a good impression and decides to apply for the next cycle, that interview could be carried over for the next year. This is only what I've heard from previous applicants :oops:

I have a question. If one were to apply to MCPHS now but they are planning to re-write their OAT, would they have to re-write the OAT before the June 1 deadline? If that's the case, it would be more worthwhile to wait until the 2016 cycle opens, right?

Thanks!

Hello, I'm not really sure. I've heard of people getting interviews to other schools later in the cycle, but they are interviews to be on the waitlist. If the student made a good impression and decides to apply for the next cycle, that interview could be carried over for the next year. This is only what I've heard from previous applicants :oops:

I have a question. If one were to apply to MCPHS now but they are planning to re-write their OAT, would they have to re-write the OAT before the June 1 deadline? If that's the case, it would be more worthwhile to wait until the 2016 cycle opens, right?

Thanks!

I talked to someone in admissions and she said that they will just put your application on hold until you get in your scores. As long as your completed application is submitted to them by June 1st. I am applying late as well since they extended their deadline. Was going to apply for the 2016 cycle but who knows doesn't hurt to try.