MCW Pharmacy Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthioPrincessN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a post for all of my classmates! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I submitted my app but haven't heard anything yet.
What were your stats/wait-time for an interview and before they accepted you? I am so nervous!

Hi, I submitted my app but haven't heard anything yet.
What were your stats/wait-time for an interview and before they accepted you? I am so nervous!

I applied December 22nd. My application was verified Jan 11th. I received an email for an interview Jan. 15th. The interview was Jan. 18th and I recievd my acceptance letter on Jan 25th.

When did your application get verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi EthioPrincessN!

Just wondering if you had any tips for the interview for MCW? I have mine coming up soon and I'm super nervous!!
What kind of questions/activities do they have you do?

Thanks in advance, and hope to see you this summer!! :)

I just interviewed on Friday, and the whole experience was really laid back. By far the most impressive program I have learned about so far. They told us we'd hear back from them the following Thursday (2 days from today) so I'm super nervous/excited!

I just interviewed on Friday, and the whole experience was really laid back. By far the most impressive program I have learned about so far. They told us we'd hear back from them the following Thursday (2 days from today) so I'm super nervous/excited!
hey thanks for your reply! Hope you get some good news today!!

Hey guys. Is MCW a good school? I saw that they are only in pre-candidate status?

Hey guys. Is MCW a good school? I saw that they are only in pre-candidate status?
The Pharmacy School is just starting its second year, but Medical College of Wisconsin is an amazing institution. They've been around in some form or other for well over a century. The Dean previously founded the Roosevelt University 3 year program a few years ago, and they have become a very successful program, so the resources and leadership are there for the program to succeed.

Still waiting to hear back - no news today, hopefully tomorrow??

The Pharmacy School is just starting its second year, but Medical College of Wisconsin is an amazing institution. They've been around in some form or other for well over a century. The Dean previously founded the Roosevelt University 3 year program a few years ago, and they have become a very successful program, so the resources and leadership are there for the program to succeed.

Confused about 1 thing though, what does it mean to be "pre-candidate" status?
What happens once the first group of students graduates from the school? Can they practice just like any other pharmacist?

Confused about 1 thing though, what does it mean to be "pre-candidate" status?
What happens once the first group of students graduates from the school? Can they practice just like any other pharmacist?

Because it is a 3 year program, and they need to become accredited before the first class graduates, the accreditation process is sped up from the typical 4 year process for new schools. The Dean said that their candidacy review will be this April, when they will advance to "candidate" status. Then, the next review will give them full accreditation before the final class graduates. At least that's how I understood it.

Are you guys worried that it’s not accredited yet? What’s your take on that? Jw because I got accepted to a school in pre-candidate heading into candidate this summer. Debating if it’s worth it

Hey unoriginalavatar, or anyone reading this, please help.
I just got my interview invite, and I was wondering if you could share some tips about the interview day. This is my first time interviewing for any kind of health profession school so any tips would be appreciated!!! Could you explain what kind of questions they could ask?
Thank you

Are you guys worried that it’s not accredited yet? What’s your take on that? Jw because I got accepted to a school in pre-candidate heading into candidate this summer. Debating if it’s worth it
I'm not worried about it at all, because MCW has the resources to ensure that the accreditation process is smooth and successful, and the Dean has success in this area as well. I think it would depend on the school though. If it were a brand new pharmacy program without the support of an already established health professions education program to rely on, I might be more hesitant.

Hey unoriginalavatar, or anyone reading this, please help.
I just got my interview invite, and I was wondering if you could share some tips about the interview day. This is my first time interviewing for any kind of health profession school so any tips would be appreciated!!! Could you explain what kind of questions they could ask?
Thank you
First of all, congrats and good luck! You'll be fine, don't worry.

The interviews themselves (two interviews, 1 on 1) are SUPER laid back. They'll probably ask you the basic questions like "why pharmacy?" and "where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?" Other than that, it's more like a conversation than anything, and every single faculty member I met was incredibly nice.

The writing section is pretty basic - they'll ask you an ethics type question and how you would approach it to try and fix it. The questions are all different, and they rotate them throughout the interview process, so I can't tell you what your particular question will be, but think of the writing section of the PCAT and you've got a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's all done on a computer, and you have like 30 minutes or so. Nothing to worry about!

The biggest thing to remember - RELAX. Just be yourself. I know that's what everyone says, but that's because it's true! They just need to attach a personality to your résumé - you're already qualified on paper!

I'm not worried about it at all, because MCW has the resources to ensure that the accreditation process is smooth and successful, and the Dean has success in this area as well. I think it would depend on the school though. If it were a brand new pharmacy program without the support of an already established health professions education program to rely on, I might be more hesitant.

Gotcha. Yeah the school I got into has an established optometry school since 1904 and PA school for 5 ish years now and the dean opened Hawaii and Arizona as well. So what you think? The school is Marshall B Ketchum

Thank you!! I'll do my best, and I hope I'll see some if not all of you in a couple months!!!

Gotcha. Yeah the school I got into has an established optometry school since 1904 and PA school for 5 ish years now and the dean opened Hawaii and Arizona as well. So what you think? The school is Marshall B Ketchum
Looks like it’s well established with the proper support system around it, but other than what I’ve gathered from the site I have absolutely no idea. Gotta go with your gut! But good luck regardless of your choice!

Looks like it’s well established with the proper support system around it, but other than what I’ve gathered from the site I have absolutely no idea. Gotta go with your gut! But good luck regardless of your choice!
Any tips for what they say is "group activity" during the interview day?

I got interview last Friday, and today is Thursday, I still not hear anything from them yet. I’m too worried if I couldn’t be accepted :(

this school has the worst reputation in all of the midwest, definitely would not be a smart decision to attend this school

Reactions: 1 user