MD Acceptance after MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skbirdie510

Dr. K
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to do this once I'm done with my MPH. Are there people who got into med school after their MPH? If so, what's the experience like?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say that I have gotten in yet but I am trying. I have alot of interviews and so far the 4 schools I have interviewed at have given 1 rejection and 3 waitlist. Once I have an acceptance I will let you more about the experience.

Well, I am applying this year. I have been accepted to a DO school (PCOM), and had interviews at a couple of other places (MD and DO). To answer your question....it certainly helps. They will definitely focus in a lot on your motivation for getting an MPH, and why you think it's important and how you intend to use it. If you are serious about public health and medicine, then it is a great idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had my MPH for about 7 years, and I think it helped tremendously with my interviews and acceptances. The difference for me though, is what I did with my degree - obviously I have had plenty of time to develop a meaningful career, and link it to me desire to enter the medical field.

To answer your question....it certainly helps. They will definitely focus in a lot on your motivation for getting an MPH, and why you think it's important and how you intend to use it. If you are serious about public health and medicine, then it is a great idea.

ditto from my experience

DO acceptance (PCOM) after GWU MPH.

Was asked about my intentions for the MPH and how I will likely use it in the future at almost every med school interview.

If you're applying DO, remember that PREVENTION is a common theme in both public health and osteopathic "philosophy." (which is essentially the same as allopathic philosophy in reality but for the interview it's important to emphasize the difference!)

As promised: I was accepted to Creighton Medical School last week.
At every interview I have been asked why I wanted to have a degree in public health and how I thought I would use it. Several times I explained research proposals that I had developed for classes to illusrate how I would use my public health education. I would also talk about projects I have worked on that are of the public health flavor but are also important to medicine. About 9% of my interviewers liked my rationale and thought it was logical and several commented on how epidemiology would be a great skill to have no matter what field of medicine I go into. As long as you can show the interviewers that you didn't do the MPH between application cycles for something to do but can relate it to medical practice you will be ok.

I haven't been accepted yet, but all of the MDs I've talked to asked why an MPH, and thoguht that my reasoning was good. The two fields are becoming more intertwined as the healthcare system changes...And these days there's a lot of research in medicine, even without a PhD. And swim I heard the same thing about ebi. It teaches a lot about diferent aspectes of med, and for the practice of med is prob the most useful.

I finished my MPH in April 2007 and I've been accepted at a few schools (DO and MD) to begin in 2008. I was always asked about my MPH during interviews. I also referred to my public health background when writing my essays - my public health field work and the volunteer work I did during grad school were easy to discuss in secondaries.

I also got much better grades in grad school than I did in undergrad, so I think that helped me some.

I am thinking of a public administration degree. Could i use the MPH rationale with this degree? there are no other schools around where i am, and i though i could do this with specialization on healthcare systems.

Graduated from an MPH in '07. Currently at an MD school. About a third of my MPH class was applying to med school while pursuing their MPH. Just about everyone got in. On paper, grad degrees will buy you a second look from whatever school you're applying too, but don't think they're the silver bullet -- there are way more impressive ways to spend a year or two that could really boost your med school app.