MD after PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hih9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always aspired to be a family doctor, but I was a Dreamer and didn't have the right legal status to apply. Now I am a permanent resident, so I can apply. As I am finishing my PhD, I'm researching requirements, my weaknesses, strengths so that I can be a strong applicant.

If you could give me insights to what I can do to make myself a strong applicant in 1.5-2 years, that'd be very appreciated :)

1. I will have a PhD in biomedical sciences at a top 30 med school

2. 3 1st author publications

3. Teaching Assistant for MS1's for 2 years

4. UG GPA 3.53 at top 30 institution
I have a below average UG GPA, but because of bad 1st year. Rest shows upward trend and always been 3.6+

5. I will be shadowing my MD committee member starting now to the end of my PhD (hoping to get 100-200 hrs by the time I apply)

6. Volunteering 2 hours a week

7. I will have great letters of recommendations from my boss/other respected professors in the department

From my research, I will need a rocking MCAT score to be a strong applicant. My worry is that it still will not be great because of my sub-part GPA

How good are my chances and what can I work on to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT above 515 and ur chances are pretty good. Being a good med school applicant is important. So since you already have the research background covered: clinical volunteering and a strong mcat score will round out your app and you should do well.

No need to overkill on the shadowing, more important to have more clinical volunteering for MD side imo.

Reactions: 1 user
One of your essays should clearly describe your story of being a dreamer with resilience and wanting to help your community. It will be a powerful statement for the MD AdCom. I suspect that you will be fine and a strong MD candidate even with a 510-515. You don't need to pretend that you want to become a primary care MD, unless that is truly what you want to become. Your essay could be about becoming a specialty caring physician in the area of your PhD, whether you continue doing research or take a MPH approach to your community.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT above 515 and ur chances are pretty good. Being a good med school applicant is important. So since you already have the research background covered: clinical volunteering and a strong mcat score will round out your app and you should do well.

No need to overkill on the shadowing, more important to have more clinical volunteering for MD side imo.
Thank you. This is helpful.
In terms of clinical volunteering, I'm an outdoorswoman and would like to volunteer for Search and Rescue in my city. I will have wilderness First Aid before I start volunteering for this. I am wondering how relevant this might be?

Thank you. This is helpful.
In terms of clinical volunteering, I'm an outdoorswoman and would like to volunteer for Search and Rescue in my city. I will have wilderness First Aid before I start volunteering for this. I am wondering how relevant this might be?
I’d also find a position in a clinic or hospice where you are dealing directly with patients.