MD and MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerintherain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading about MDs and/or medical students who decide to pursue a MPH degree sometime during their academic career. May I know why people make such decisions? Feel free to pm me too!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an MD/MPH student. I do not plan to have a career in public health, but I decided to go for the MPH because it gives you exposure to epidemiology, biostats and aspects of infectious disease that you won't get in medical school classes.

I'm currently an MPH student applying to medical school. I'll have my masters in exactly one year (it's a two year program at Cal State Northridge). The MOST important things you get out of an MPH are cultural senstivity/tailoring, dealing with people on a one-on-one ("human") basis and trying to instill primary/secondary/tertiary preventions in your patient population. That's how I feel at least, and my sentiment is echoed by the fact that there are some med schools who now incorporate the culturally relevant classes into their curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an MD/MPH student. I do not plan to have a career in public health, but I decided to go for the MPH because it gives you exposure to epidemiology, biostats and aspects of infectious disease that you won't get in medical school classes.

I agree with what was said above. I'm also a student in the MD/MPH program and decided to do my MPH before starting medical school. Although I have not done my clinical years of med school, I feel that while medical school begins to teach you how to be successful in a career in medicine (residency is really where this happens), I wanted to do a MPH to become more of a health care practitioner/professional (not just a physician). My track during my MPH work was community health science, and the community outreach, health education, and program planning/evaluation experience that I got from my MPH is just not touched in medical school.

Just as the two people above, I am also an MPH student at the U of Texas School of Public Health trying to get into medical school after finishing my thesis.

I decided to do my MPH before medical school because I wanted to approach medicine from a preventative aspect, rather than an acute, reactionary one. I am very happy that I have walked this path, rather than going to med school first and being "programmed" by them first.

Hi,
I too am an MD/ MPH student. I chose to do this additional work so that I could get exposure to things that you dont learn in medical school, but are a great deal of what you deal with when in practice. I have learned about insurance, HMOs, the current state of healthcare in the US and around the world, health policy ect...
I dont know about other people, but in our program you finish both degrees in four years-- which can be stressfull at times, but overall is not too bad.
Also, with all the time you spend looking at anatomy or pathology books, these classes can be a nice break from the hard sciences and keep you in touch with people outside of medical school--which is very nice.

Hello,

I applied to medical school this past year but did not get in anywhere. I applied to some MPH programs at the last minute and was accepted.

My UC Berkeley GPA and my MCAT are not great, though I do have a lot of activities, leadership roles, etc.

Since the MPH program is two years, I will be re-applying in a year for Fall 2009. Aside from the basics of maintaining good grades, I was wondering if those of you who are already in MPH programs could give me some ideas of what else I can do to maximize my chances of getting into a medical school this time around.

Thanks! :)

Hello,

I applied to medical school this past year but did not get in anywhere. I applied to some MPH programs at the last minute and was accepted.

My UC Berkeley GPA and my MCAT are not great, though I do have a lot of activities, leadership roles, etc.

Since the MPH program is two years, I will be re-applying in a year for Fall 2009. Aside from the basics of maintaining good grades, I was wondering if those of you who are already in MPH programs could give me some ideas of what else I can do to maximize my chances of getting into a medical school this time around.

Thanks! :)
I would contact a few of the medical schools that you are really interested in and ask them if soemone could reveiw your file and tell you what they would like to see.
I dont know if your work in an MPH program would make you a stronger candidate, unless you had a really strong application, and like many, were just unlucky. If thats the case, then showing committment to the field despite rejection may be a strength.
If your MCAT wasnt that great- take it over, if you grades were just okay-- take higher level science classes. Public health research will always help you, but to make yourself a stronger candidate you might want to focus on other "hard science" areas.
good luck to you!!

I would contact a few of the medical schools that you are really interested in and ask them if soemone could reveiw your file and tell you what they would like to see.
I dont know if your work in an MPH program would make you a stronger candidate, unless you had a really strong application, and like many, were just unlucky. If thats the case, then showing committment to the field despite rejection may be a strength.
If your MCAT wasnt that great- take it over, if you grades were just okay-- take higher level science classes. Public health research will always help you, but to make yourself a stronger candidate you might want to focus on other "hard science" areas.
good luck to you!!

Those are some really good ideas, thanks a lot!:)

Just as the two people above, I am also an MPH student at the U of Texas School of Public Health trying to get into medical school after finishing my thesis.

I decided to do my MPH before medical school because I wanted to approach medicine from a preventative aspect, rather than an acute, reactionary one. I am very happy that I have walked this path, rather than going to med school first and being "programmed" by them first.

I concur with your post and the two you referred to because it is very encouraging as I am about to start my MPH program and looking forward to applying to med school. To all posters, thank you for your inputs and best to you in your endeavors!!