MD Chances- MCAT 29, 3.62 UGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

investmentdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working in banking for the past 2.5 years (out of college) and wanted to get a gauge of what chances I stand for the upcoming application cycle.

My stats are as follows: MCAT 29, 3.62UGPA, 3.3 Science GPA.
I took the MCATs 2 years ago and it was a 26.

Spent 2 summers in high school in a research lab, and 1 more summer during undergrad. Worked a bit with the Red Cross When abroad for a semester. Also volunteer at a healthcare clinic on some weekends at my church.
All other healthcare related EC's are highschool.

I took some courses in undergrad, took a few more in community college over the summer. Currently, I have my Ochem 2 and upper level biology classes left, which I plan to take next year.

What are your thoughts? Is there a solid shot at MD schools if I apply early/wide? I'm a Texas resident. Also would appreciate your thoughts on specifically which MD programs you think I would have a good shot at.

Thanks much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The < avg sGPA and MCAT are worrisome, even for TX schools. Scratch Baylor, TX Tech/El Paso, UT Galveston, UT Houston and UT SW

but you have a chance at A&M, TX Tech/Lubbock, UT San Antonio, TCOM,

I'd also try all new MD programs, all low tiers, and any DO program.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working in banking for the past 2.5 years (out of college) and wanted to get a gauge of what chances I stand for the upcoming application cycle.

Spent 2 summers in high school in a research lab, and 1 more summer during undergrad. Worked a bit with the Red Cross When abroad for a semester. Also volunteer at a healthcare clinic on some weekends at my church.

I took some courses in undergrad, took a few more in community college over the summer. Currently, I have my Ochem 2 and upper level biology classes left, which I plan to take next year.

What are your thoughts? Is there a solid shot at MD schools if I apply early/wide? I'm a Texas resident. Also would appreciate your thoughts on specifically which MD programs you think I would have a good shot at.

Thanks much in advance!!

Thanks, that is a bit helpful. Do you think it would be wise to squeeze in more EC's? I didn't realize that my MCAT score was that much below average for instate MD programs.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine for some TX schools (nix Baylor and UTSW); all low-tier programs, and all new programs. Apply broadly and strategically, and invest in MSAR.

Hey everyone,

Thanks much in advance!!

The < avg sGPA and MCAT are worrisome, even for TX schools. Scratch Baylor, TX Tech/El Paso, UT Galveston, UT Houston and UT SW

but you have a chance at A&M, TX Tech/Lubbock, UT San Antonio, TCOM,

I'd also try all new MD programs, all low tiers, and any DO program.

I would definitely have to disagree with this post.

As a Texas resident and student, i know of two people that got into UTMB (UT Galveston) with a sub 30..... both had (27's). One was a URM and the other was not. I know one guy that got into UT SW with a 3.62 GPA and a 30 mcat....... all this within the last year..... maybe this is a just luck, but i feel it must be more.

The general trend now-a-days is that UTHSCSA (UT san Antonio) is more selective than both UTHSCH and UTMB. Ironic after they were set on probation a couple of years ago.