MD/DO WAMC ORM non-trad 3.39 cGPA 3.12 sGPA, 3.72 SMP GPA, MCAT 510 (unbalanced)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sun_rucong

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post so forgive me if I commit any SDN sins!

I'd like help determining which schools to add or remove given my stats.

State of Residence: TN

Undergraduate: Wake Forest

SMP Graduate: Loyola with guaranteed interview

MCAT was a tragic drop from a 517 FL avg. to a 510 (128, 125, 127, 130).
Is that 125 CARS going to be a red flag for any US schools?
Also, do you believe a retake could be in order after secondaries are in?

As for ECs (and if you'd like more specifics I can add them!):
Shadowing: 60 hours across 4 specialties (FM, IM, psychiatry, orthopedics)
(80 across 5 if you count intl. shadowing which I believe you don't)

Non-clinical / Community volunteering: ~1360 hours, a select few positions with a couple maintained throughout ugrad and continued from hs, multicultural-related and musical-related separately

Clinical volunteering: ~250 hours

Research (no pubs): ~215 hours

Paid clinial employment (ED scribe): ~515 hours

Leadership: 710 hours, a select few positions maintained and promoted throughout ugrad

Other (primary caregiver for immediate family member over this past year): ~2100 hours

Certifications: None

Relevant honors and awards: Dean's List for 3 semesters

I'm waiting to hear back from clinical research jobs and I plan to pick up volunteering wherever I end up. Overall app will have a heavily service-oriented narrative.

Now here's the list in rough decreasing order of desire and my perceived viability for MD and DO separately:

MD:
Wake
Loyola
UTHSC
ETSU
University of Illinois
Rush University Medical College
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana School of Medicine
UAB
U South Alabama
USC
USC Greenville
Toledo
Central Michigan
VTech
West Virginia University SOM
Frank Netter Quinnipiac
Gtown
Temple
Drexel
EVMS
Albany Medical College
George Washington
UArizona Tucson
Wayne State College of Medicine
Creighton University
Rosalind Franklin
OUWB
Tulane
SUNY
Western Michigan - Homer Stryker
New York Medical College
VCU

DO:
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic
Touro NY
Touro CA
Western University of Health Sciences DO
Midwestern Chicago
Midwestern Arizona
LMU Debusk
LECOM
KCUCOM
Lake Erie
NYIT
Michigan State
PCOM

If anyone could share their thoughts I would be greatly appreciative!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good DO list but MSUCOM has very high non resident tuition. Your MD list is unrealistic with many state public schools that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these MD schools:
Tennessee
East Tennessee
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
EVMS
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your input! If I wanted to bump up that MD school list number up to 25 or even 30, would you happen to be able to recommend any others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retracted MCAT repeat point since MCAT was taken the first time.

The above list looks appropriate for your profile, but I'm missing your community service, especially if you have some opportunities through your SMP at Loyola. You are probably okay through your guaranteed linkage, but I just wanted to be sure since there are not any details on community service provided.

Last edited:
Unless your 517 was going to expire, you made a big mistake retaking. Many schools average MCAT attempts for screening. The above list looks appropriate for your profile, but I'm missing your community service, especially if you have some opportunities through your SMP at Loyola. You are probably okay through your guaranteed linkage, but I just wanted to be sure since there are not any details on community service provided.
517 fl avg, not an actual test

Retracted MCAT repeat point since MCAT was taken the first time.

The above list looks appropriate for your profile, but I'm missing your community service, especially if you have some opportunities through your SMP at Loyola. You are probably okay through your guaranteed linkage, but I just wanted to be sure since there are not any details on community service provided.
Yeah I was just lamenting the drop from my FL avg haha.

As for community service, I should have clarified that it was the non-clinical volunteering section and has ~1300 hours with the biggest contributors being activities lasting several years throughout college with each of them focusing on either providing a particular resource to the underserved or facilitating cultural relativism. I was involved in some volunteering at Loyola but it was considered clinical (COVID testing).

And just to be clear, by "above list", are you referring to my original list or @Faha 's? I believe you mean the latter, and if so, would you happen to know of any other schools that would be worth a shot?

I'm still going through MSAR/reddit/sdn and researching which other schools are more OOS-friendly, but if you know of any off the top of your head I would be greatly appreciative, and thank you for your advice so far!

Last edited:
Yeah I was just lamenting the drop from my FL avg haha.

As for community service, I should have clarified that it was the non-clinical volunteering section and has ~1300 hours with the biggest contributors being activities lasting several years throughout college with each of them focusing on either providing a particular resource to the underserved or facilitating cultural relativism. I was involved in some volunteering at Loyola but it was considered clinical (COVID testing).

And just to be clear, by "above list", are you referring to my original list or @Faha 's? I believe you mean the latter, and if so, would you happen to know of any other schools that would be worth a shot?

I'm still going through MSAR/reddit/sdn and researching which other schools are more OOS-friendly, but if you know of any off the top of your head I would be greatly appreciative, and thank you for your advice so far!
Use Faha’s list. Your chances will be best at Loyola (SMP) and your state schools. You are unlikely to find many other OOS friendly schools at your stat range.

Reactions: 1 user
Use Faha’s list. Your chances will be best at Loyola (SMP) and your state schools. You are unlikely to find many other OOS friendly schools at your stat range.
Okay, sounds good. Thank you for the help!