MD-PhD Applicants discussion forum - Radiation Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the interview season is in full thrust, I think it may be helpful to have a forum for MD-PhD applicants to discuss their experience, the different programs and their willingness to support research pathways etc...

I'll start with my own question, the UPenn program is consistently ranked as one of the top. Although in some of the reviews it has been mentioned that they heavily stress the clinical responsibility. Is that a shift away form research focus? Anyone who did a rotation there or close knowledge to the program can comment?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody is going to badmouth programs in public unless they feel totally anonymous, and most not even then. If that happens at all, it will be only after matching. If you want the true opinions on programs according to the applicants, you can read the previous years threads about programs.

You need to apply to at least 30, more like 40+ programs. So if you're MD/PhD you should be applying to all the big name research programs, and not be too picky about where you apply. So apply, interview if you're fortunate enough to get an invite, find out all the information firsthand, and compare it to where else you've been invited. Then decide where to rank it.

There are a few objective factors that you can use to help you make up your mind, like amount of protected research time a program gives and/or Holman support.

Last edited: