MD/PhD applying for Ob

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObHopeful16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm an MS3 equivalent MD/PhD student (PhD complete last summer) applying for Ob/Gyn in the upcoming cycle. I've been trying to gage my chances at top academic programs, but I've had a difficult time figuring out what (if any) impact my research background will have on my application. I'm applying from a mid tier med school in the Midwest with the following stats:

Step I-248; Honors in Ob/Gyn, Peds, and Psych; pass in IM and Surgery (FM TBA); approximately 20 papers (a few in Ob) and many presentations; letters from a mix of academic and community Ob/Gyns.

I'm looking at Stanford, Brown, and Brigham as ideal programs.

Any advice or competitiveness estimates you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming that your school has High Pass, getting just a Pass in both Medicine and Surgery is probably your weakest point. But that can't be changed at this point. Your Step 1 is good, as are all those publications- but most MD/PhDs have long lists of pubs, so don't assume that makes you stand out. The programs you mentioned are good places to aim for. Apply broadly and anticipate a 50% interview invite rate at top-tier places.

On interview day, do NOT
1) ...be the applicant who has a complete inability to discuss his or her research (or anything else) concisely or in layman's terms. You will have some interviewers who really want to delve into the details of what you've done. Others will just want an overview before moving on to other topics.

2) ...be the applicant who doesn't seem to realize that they are signing up for four years of being primarily a clinician. That's to say, don't ask which of your intern rotations could be replaced with lab time. It doesn't go over well.

I thought I had a longer list of 'don'ts' but I think that's it!!

Thank you so much- that's very helpful advice!! One follow up issue: my school doesn't have high pass (just honors/pass/fail). Should I plan to mention this on interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much- that's very helpful advice!! One follow up issue: my school doesn't have high pass (just honors/pass/fail). Should I plan to mention this on interviews?

You don't have to make an effort to insert it into the conversation, but you might be asked. When it comes to screening applications, the program director will already know.

Hi,

I am an MD-PhD student who just matched into OB-GYN. We have similar Step 1 scores; I had a little higher clinical grades (honors in IM and surgery), similar number of papers.

In general, I think you will do very well in the match. I didn’t have problems getting interviews at top places, and ended up matching at a great place.

The comments from 22031 Alum regarding being careful when bringing up research are very much consistent with my experiences on the interview trail. In general, I found that interviewers at some programs viewed the PhD as a positive thing and were excited about it, and some viewed it with some suspicion, and that there wasn’t a straightforward way of identifying which programs would view it one way versus the other (i.e., neither residency rankings nor OB-GYN departmental research involvement seemed strongly correlated). In general, I think the match works, in that you will end up in a place that you are excited about and that is excited about somebody like you!

Specific pitfalls to avoid: At least at my institution, 20+ publications for an MD-PhD student is on the high side, and paradoxically I think such productivity can make some people a little concerned that maybe you sacrificed something clinically to get there and what your priorities are - even if you have good grades and letters. I ended up being proactive about bringing up during every interview, if it didn’t come up, something along the lines that “while I’m interested in remaining involved in research as part of my residency, my primary focus is in becoming the best clinician I can be”. Of course, similar language also in the personal statement. I had a couple of interviewers say how relieved they were to hear me say that, as they were worried about it but were afraid to ask. Also, expect to get some questions regarding whether going back to MS3 was hard, with respect to being back at that bottom of the totem pole, younger people being your boss, etc trying to assess for arrogance.

Reactions: 1 user
MD/PhD that just matched this year. Stats almost identical to yours, also was AOA.

Applied pretty much to all the usual top programs as well as a few regional safeties, about 32 in all. Wound up with 18-20 invites but didn't get them from Brigham, Stanford, Brown or any of the other East/West coast elites.

PhD/Research didn't seem to make too much of a difference although you will never really know why you did or didn't get interviews at some places. Also was from the Midwest and I think there is probably some regional bias there when it comes to getting to top coastal programs. I did get interviews at all the Midwestern Academic Powers (Northwestern/WashU/Chicago/Michigan/UTSW) and matched at my top choice so certainly did fine but was disappointing not to get more invites initially.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am an MD-PhD student who just matched into OB-GYN. We have similar Step 1 scores; I had a little higher clinical grades (honors in IM and surgery), similar number of papers.

MD/PhD that just matched this year. Stats almost identical to yours, also was AOA.

Congrats y'all!!

Hi,

I am an MD-PhD student who just matched into OB-GYN. We have similar Step 1 scores; I had a little higher clinical grades (honors in IM and surgery), similar number of papers....

MD/PhD that just matched this year. Stats almost identical to yours, also was AOA... .

Thanks to both of you for replying. Congratulations on matching with top choice programs! I'll definitely take your interview advice to heart, mrsanator. I tried to emphasize my desire to focus on clinical development in my PS, but I really like the idea of proactively addressing that issue on the interview trail. Also, OBthrows- I appreciate you mentioning the number of programs you applied to. I have 25 on my list now, but I'm hoping to end up in the vicinity of 30-35.

If don't mind indulging me a bit more, are there any programs you would recommend as particularly MD/PhD friendly? I'm applying to all of the Midwestern academic centers, plus the programs I listed above, but I've gone back and forth on a few others. Again, I'm grateful for your time!