MD/PhD in Mathematics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jake2

Radiology Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, anybody know of a mudphud who did their PhD in mathematics/theoretical physics?

Members don't see this ad.

jake2 said:
Out of curiosity, anybody know of a mudphud who did their PhD in mathematics/theoretical physics?

I remember a girl from Princeton was applying to our school last year with the goal of doing a PhD in mathemetical modelling. I do not know if she got accepted. I also remember that she was very pretty:) Even though I am majoring in Molecular Biology and math, I will not probably do computational stuff. But, who knows?

jake2 said:

That type of combination might not be found using the terms "mathematics/theoretical physics", but could probably be seen quite often with fields like computational neuroscience. Comp NS and many other fields rely almost exclusively on high order diff. equations to model their theories. I know for a fact that our collaborating lab published in Neuro Computing with a math PhD as a second author (probably solely to double check the math). That being said, I don't think that type of degree is seen as often because most the joint degrees are applied mathematics degrees that are integrated into more clinically applicable fields..

Members don't see this ad :)
Belfagor said:
That type of combination might not be found using the terms "mathematics/theoretical physics", but could probably be seen quite often with fields like computational neuroscience. Comp NS and many other fields rely almost exclusively on high order diff. equations to model their theories. I know for a fact that our collaborating lab published in Neuro Computing with a math PhD as a second author (probably solely to double check the math). That being said, I don't think that type of degree is seen as often because most the joint degrees are applied mathematics degrees that are integrated into more clinically applicable fields..

University of Illinois Urbana should probably be really encouraging of it...
I know that's not what you're asking.
I know a friend in MD program, who wants to get a PhD in abstract math after...

speaking of "(probably solely to double check the math)"
GOD, is that important!! how I wish ppl woudl check their damn math before publishing a computational paper. do you know how much hell you give by having a simple typo in math?

sorry this didn't really answer your question. no, i don't know anyone who did it. I'd love to know their experience.

not many, but some alumni from our program (tri-I) have done their phd's in math, and some in mathemetical modelling of biological problems (an alumnus is a professor at cornell doing computational modelling of epilepsy). i believe rockefeller has an arrangement with the courant institute (math people should know this place - it's pretty amazing) so students can take course work as well as work with their faculty on thesis projects.

This is another one of those topics where I'd say it's possible to get a PhD in alot of different subjects and still take alot of math grad courses. You should really try to stay within biomedical sciences simply because the relationship of your MD/PhD program is going to be better with those departments and can bail you out of any problems that arise and advise you better about things you should be doing as an MD/PhD.

One piece of advice is to look for schools that have a math department at or nearby the med school. You don't want to travel an hour or more or even have to move to take a class or get your degree. From there, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a PhD specifically in mathematics. Why not a PhD in computational neuroscience or genomics or something along those lines? PhD cirriculums are customized to your interests, so don't feel like you're not going to get what you want.