MD vs DO: an undiscussed factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the MD vs DO debate has been going on as long as SDN has been around but there's one thing everyone's been neglecting. Infommercials! If you want to be a doctor on those infommercials blatantly endorsing some fad exercise machine, skin care product, etc for some cash money, a DO ain't gonna cut it--the average person has no idea what a DO is. So if you're planning on making a living doing informmercials, it's MD all the way. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you have been putting out a lot of garbage posts lately that is cluttering up pre-allo. EG the asian weight lifter. Try the lounge. Just because you mention one thing about MDs or DOs doesn't mean it belongs here. Please no flames...just annoyed with all the non-serious posts.

BigRedPingpong said:
Dude, you have been putting out a lot of garbage posts lately that is cluttering up pre-allo. EG the asian weight lifter. Try the lounge. Just because you mention one thing about MDs or DOs doesn't mean it belongs here. Please no flames...just annoyed with all the non-serious posts.

Look around. Not all the posts on the MD forum are serious. Do you really think the "premed girls aren't hot" thread is any more serious than this post? This forum is entitled: "Pre-medical student discussion forum"--it says nothing about the posts having to be serious. The lounge is for everyone (premed, med, dental, pharm, etc) so this post actually fits better under this forum than over there.

If you're annoyed, just don't read the post or stop reading it if you realize you're not interested in it; it's that simple. Just cause you don't appreciate someone's post doesn't mean no one else does or that you should try to get them to stop. You need to loosen up. You'll live longer that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander99 said:
I know the MD vs DO debate has been going on as long as SDN has been around but there's one thing everyone's been neglecting. Infommercials! If you want to be a doctor on those infommercials blatantly endorsing some fad exercise machine, skin care product, etc for some cash money, a DO ain't gonna cut it--the average person has no idea what a DO is. So if you're planning on making a living doing informmercials, it's MD all the way. :D
I remember seeing this one infomercial for some kind of capsule. The Dr. who was talking was a DO. Under the picture of him talking was his name and the letters DO.

I have also seen chiropractors with their DC initials talk in infomercials and I'm not sure if people know what that is either. Thus, it still is done. The almighty MD still doesn't corner the market there.

Luck said:
I remember seeing this one infomercial for some kind of capsule. The Dr. who was talking was a DO. Under the picture of him talking was his name and the letters DO.

I have also seen chiropractors with their DC initials talk in infomercials and I'm not sure if people know what that is either. Thus, it still is done. The almighty MD still doesn't corner the market there.

So I guess all you really need is a degree that lets you be called Dr. and a whitecoat to wear in the commercial. Nevermind what I said then. MDs and Dos are equal once again. :)

You are right about the pre-med girls hot or not thread... it is definitely lamer than this one--- you got me.

actually, many infomercials have a doctor spokesman and it just says "DR. ----" which can imply that he is a DO.

or u could be a dr. phil and act like u're an MD.

Yogi Bear said:
or u could be a dr. phil and act like u're an MD.

Yeah. If I ever meet him, I'm going to ask him "And just exactly what are you a doctor of?"

Reminds me of the same line from Ghostbusters.

Annoying guy: "blah blah blah Mr. Vankman."

Peter Vankman: "That's Dr. Vankman."

Annoying guy: "And just what are you a doctor of?"

Peter Vankman: "I have advanced degrees in parapsychology and psychology."

I don't know why but that line always cracks me up.

I see a lot of chiropractors pitching nutritional supliments for some reason.

I think the MD vs DO argument is tired. They are all doctors. I think what is FAR more important is cooperation, ENTIRE cooperation, between osteo and allopaths to prevent unreasonable encroachment on medical practice my midlevel providers and other allied health professionals....this isn't a battle to be won solely by MDs or DOs...

Thats my $ 0.02

The best infomercial I've ever seen was this guy who was pitching a weight-loss supplement, with the tagline that he was a "UCLA-trained MD/PhD." I was impressed - UCLA MSTP is awesome! Until I pulled up his website and saw that he didn't get his MD from UCLA - he got it from an overseas medical school. And then did his PhD at UCLA in something like film studies 20 years after he completed the MD.

I guess he wasn't lying, but CHEAP!

BaylorLion said:
The best infomercial I've ever seen was this guy who was pitching a weight-loss supplement, with the tagline that he was a "UCLA-trained MD/PhD." I was impressed - UCLA MSTP is awesome! Until I pulled up his website and saw that he didn't get his MD from UCLA - he got it from an overseas medical school. And then did his PhD at UCLA in something like film studies 20 years after he completed the MD.

I guess he wasn't lying, but CHEAP!

LOL! That's pretty hilarious. Talk about stretching the truth. Somehow, I have a feeling that a real MD/PhD would be too busy making discoveries to get do TV endorsements for cash money.