MDMA (ecstasy) and Brain Damage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careofme

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the story: We recently had an exam question that made the claim that MDMA does NOT cause brain damage.

Although I know that the Science '02 JHU paper was retracted recently, I was wondering if anyone knew of any OTHER significant data that showed brain damage caused by recreational MDMA use in primates (or humans).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that it's controversial whether or not MDMA can cause brain damage, but a lot of people think that it does by depleting seroterigic neurons in your brain by overwhelming them with neurotransmitters and killing them. I'm not sure if any study has actually proved this yet though.

US Ecstasy study retracted after drug mix-up
Mon Sep 8, 7:37 PM ET Add Health - AFP to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A study that claimed regular users of the drug Ecstasy run the risk of severe brain damage has been retracted by its authors following a mix-up of their laboratory samples.

The authors of the study published in September 2002 by the journal Science claimed regular users of Ecstasy (MDMA) could seriously damage the working functions of their brains.

However, in an embarrassing turnaround, the same authors said Monday: "We write to retract our report...following our recent discovery that the drug used to treat all but one animal in that report came from a bottle that contained methamphetamine instead of the intended drug (Ecstasy)."

The retraction is due to be published in Science on September 12.

The experts said they reached their findings by using a bottle of methamphetamine when they thought the bottle had contained Ecstasy.

They discovered their mistake when they tried to obtain the same results with different samples of actual Ecstasy.

The study was originally conducted at Johns Hopkins University, and it described the grave damage and irreversable effects that Ecstasy use could have on the brain.

The authors had also claimed in their now-retracted findings, that regular Ecstasy use could lead to the similar effects as Parkinson's disease (news - web sites).

In their retraction, the authors reaffirmed nonetheless that "this apparent labelling error does not call into question the results of multiple previous studies demonstrating the serotonin neurotoxic potential of MDMA (Ecstasy) in various animal species, including several nonhuman primate species."

"Moreover...some humans with a history of MDMA abuse have developed Parkinsonism," the authors stressed.

Ecstasy, commonly taken by clubbers in the form of a small pill, is favored by ravers because its makes them more energetic and excited, and gives them greater euphoric sensations.

However, the highs experienced by Ecstasy or MDMA users can sometimes be followed by bouts of depression.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI - serotonin metabolites are toxic to dopamine receptors. In the worst case scenario, excessive damage in the myelencephalon (Ie. Medulla) could lead to loss of respiration and death. However, you are right about parkosonian symptoms. Especially when damage is caused to the substantia nigra where D1 and D2 receptors are prominent. This would be my guess anyhow.

Although I have no literature citations to offer, I do believe there is a substantive link between MDMA and brain damage.

One, there was a special on MTV about club drugs. A girl who was a chronic Ecstasy abuser went in for a PET scan which showed multiple "holes" on 3D reconstruction, which could help explain her memory difficulties.

Two, rumor has it that Michael J. Fox's parkinsonism was secondary to MDMA abuse. It's interesting because we know Parkinson's is really rare in young people (at least based on the ages of patients with the disease I have encountered on medicine and psychiatry).

-S.