MDs who want to learn OMM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what happens if an MD wants to learn OMM? Do they have to attend DO school? Is this an impossibility?

Are there books on OMM?

Lets be hypothetical and say John Doe gets into Harvard and turns down his DO acceptances but really wants to learn OMM... what does John Doe do?

Members don't see this ad.

Our first day of OMM last semester was taught by an MD. It certainly is possible and has been done before, but what they have to do I don't know. I imagine they would just have to sit in on the OMM labs and watch whats being done.

There are fellowships post residency specifically for MDs who want to learn OMM. There are also books but it's hard to learn from these, it's better to see and feel it done. However, you will never be able to bill most insurance companies for OMM unless you have DO after your name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by the boy wonder
However, you will never be able to bill most insurance companies for OMM unless you have DO after your name.

Not sure how she does it, but the MD that Fenrezz mentioned has switched a significant portion of her practice to manipulation. She is making a living at it somehow.

thats v. interesting. - I know it is legal for an MD to do it and charge cash for the procedures but had been told multiple times that insurance co.s would not pay. Hmmm. If there is anyone (Dr Mom, Fenrezz, anyone...) that is able to delicately ask this practicing physician how it is done I would be very very interested to hear (as I have been accepted to MD schools but still really would like to have OMM too...)

When I was at my interview at OUCOM, we learned that there are masters programs available for one year of OMM training at Ohio U...DO's and MD's can apply for this type of certification.