MDSSP Guard vs. Reserves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dotsero

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both the National Guard and the Army Reserves offer MDSSP. As far as I can tell the benefits are the same (in terms of the stipend) and the ongoing commitment is the same (one weekend a month, 2 weeks/year). So what is the difference? Is one better than the other or are they pretty much the same deal all around?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked the same question a month or so ago and received no replies.

Here is what I have gathered (this could all be wrong, though):

1. For the reserves you never have to go to drill, but you are paid for drill. That means 400-600 dollars more a month. This could also be true for guard, but you may have to twist some arms.

2. WIth the reserves your 8 year commitment begins after residency. With the Guard it begins after Med School.

3. The reserve has the "option" or at least possibility of rather than 2 weeks a year, one weekend a month, just doing 3 weeks in a row a year at some place like walter reed.

4. The reserves and guard are different overall--which can be easily researched elsewhere. The appeal for me of the Guard---you serve your state as well. And for me, from a small state, you know who you are dealing with.

If anything is wrong here, please correct.

-Conrad

Here is what I have gathered (this could all be wrong, though):
Lots of the Guard stuff is wrong, so I'd verify the Reserve stuff as well (can't say, as I'm not Reserve).
1. For the reserves you never have to go to drill, but you are paid for drill. That means 400-600 dollars more a month. This could also be true for guard, but you may have to twist some arms.
In the Guard, it depends on your program, but most medical students are in Flexi-Training, in which you can drill as little as once every three months while you're in residency or medical school.

Pay depends on the program. If a program pays you for drill, you're only paid when you drill. Some programs pay medical students a monthly wage or stipend, in which you're not paid for drill at all.

I'd be very surprised if there were a Reserves program in which you received any kind of benefit without drilling, but who knows.
2. WIth the reserves your 8 year commitment begins after residency. With the Guard it begins after Med School.
No. You begin your 8 year commitment when you are commissioned. If you join in med school, it starts while you're in medical school. For many folks who join in medical school, they will be done with their commitment by the time they finish residency.
conrad123;95929923. The reserve has the "option" or at least possibility of rather than 2 weeks a year said:
The Guard has this as well. Both are subject to your commander's approval. They're surprisingly flexible with time, but the odds of your command allowing you to do it all in one go is next to nil. The odds of your command allowing you to do it at a place you're not assigned is also next to nil.

Also, if you tried to do it all in one go, it would work out to be 38 days straight, no days off (14 days annual plus 2x12 weekend days), not three weeks.
4. The reserves and guard are different overall--which can be easily researched elsewhere. The appeal for me of the Guard---you serve your state as well. And for me, from a small state, you know who you are dealing with.
Agreed. AMEDD in general is smaller than you'd think in some ways. AMEDD in a state Guard is even smaller. This can be a double edged sword.

Best of luck in your decisions...

Members don't see this ad :)
Clarify some info regarding the MDSSP program:

1. Commitment--if you do the MDSSP program for four years of medical school, you would owe the reserves 8 years starting after residency; or the guard 8 years starting after med school. There are other options once in residency (ie STRAP) which would alter this, but that is the basic option.

2. Money--both pay the same stipend of around $1992 a month.

3. Drilling money--this is my understanding, and subject to how you work things out with your local commander. The reserves will have you never drill---but you send in a Form once a month explaining that you are training, ie going to lectures, and you get the drill pay.

The guard wants you to drill at your commanders discretion---I believe it is possible to work out a deal with your commander where you send him an 350-1 --or whatever the form is--and still get drill pay for "training" on your own. It only makes sense the guard equals the reserves--is how I explained it to my commander.

Therefore, both can get you around $2,400 a month.

4. Drilling commitment once you are a doctor---reserves has different options--most are one weekend a month and two weeks a year...but one option is Drilling Individual Mobilization Augmentee (DIMA): this allows you to do 3 weeks in row at Walter Reed or somewhere similar and then no weekends a month. The guard does not have this option--one weekend a month, two weeks a year...but that two weeks is usually somewhere close to you, if you live in a small state.

The information I am basing this off of is talking to a knowledgable reserve recruiter and reading the pertinent guard memo.

Overall, the three weeks in a row that the reserve's DIMA offers could be nice, but the Guard keeps you involved in your local community which is why it is the clear choice for me.

Respectfully,
Conrad

Clarify some info regarding the MDSSP program:

1. Commitment--if you do the MDSSP program for four years of medical school, you would owe the reserves 8 years starting after residency; or the guard 8 years starting after med school. There are other options once in residency (ie STRAP) which would alter this, but that is the basic option.

2. Money--both pay the same stipend of around $1992 a month.

3. Drilling money--this is my understanding, and subject to how you work things out with your local commander. The reserves will have you never drill---but you send in a Form once a month explaining that you are training, ie going to lectures, and you get the drill pay.

The guard wants you to drill at your commanders discretion---I believe it is possible to work out a deal with your commander where you send him an 350-1 --or whatever the form is--and still get drill pay for "training" on your own. It only makes sense the guard equals the reserves--is how I explained it to my commander.

Therefore, both can get you around $2,400 a month.

4. Drilling commitment once you are a doctor---reserves has different options--most are one weekend a month and two weeks a year...but one option is Drilling Individual Mobilization Augmentee (DIMA): this allows you to do 3 weeks in row at Walter Reed or somewhere similar and then no weekends a month. The guard does not have this option--one weekend a month, two weeks a year...but that two weeks is usually somewhere close to you, if you live in a small state.

The information I am basing this off of is talking to a knowledgable reserve recruiter and reading the pertinent guard memo.

Overall, the three weeks in a row that the reserve's DIMA offers could be nice, but the Guard keeps you involved in your local community which is why it is the clear choice for me.

Respectfully,
Conrad

sorry to bring up an old thread - which "form once a month" are you referring to for the army reserves? anyone have any idea? 350-1 outlines very generic army national guard training, looked into specifics for medical and came up empty.

The main difference is after Medical School. The Army National Guard can only slot what is available in the state they support. While in Medical school, do you know what state you will be completing residency in? What is to say you enjoy the location that your medical school or residency take you too? The Army Reserve is a federal entity. If the unit near where you live does not have a slot, or vacancy for your specialty, you are eligible to become a unit member of the Army Personnel Management Command. You will attend weekend Battle assemblies locally, but your two weeks of annual training, or any operational assignments will be in your specialty. The weekend Battle Assemblies are typically administrative and very little patient care, unless you are in a unit that conducts their Battle Assemblies, or a portion of their Battle Assemblies at an Army Treatment Facility or contracted Civilian Facility. Rather than either 1. Having to travel to a different state to serve in your specialty or 2. Being assigned as a GMO, the Army Reserve will utilize you for your skill. The community aspect of the National Guard is the same in the Army Reserve. You will still serve locally for the most part. The Army as a whole is huge on the community relations aspect. The DIMA program is only open to Prior Service physicians because of the complexity of the program. It takes someone that understands the Army structure to fully understand the requirements. I have personally transitioned several residents into the Army Reserve from the National Guard because of the vacancy issue, which is a repeat of the lengthy application process. The type of assignments you will be placed in the Army Reserve can be phenomenal, to include but not limited to, International Humanitarian Aid missions, Joint force missions with partnering countries, International Disaster Relief, Augmented missions, and much more. Embrace the Challenge, Live the Adventure, and enjoy your service to the fullest extent.

The main difference is after Medical School. The Army National Guard can only slot what is available in the state they support. While in Medical school, do you know what state you will be completing residency in? What is to say you enjoy the location that your medical school or residency take you too? The Army Reserve is a federal entity. If the unit near where you live does not have a slot, or vacancy for your specialty, you are eligible to become a unit member of the Army Personnel Management Command. You will attend weekend Battle assemblies locally, but your two weeks of annual training, or any operational assignments will be in your specialty. The weekend Battle Assemblies are typically administrative and very little patient care, unless you are in a unit that conducts their Battle Assemblies, or a portion of their Battle Assemblies at an Army Treatment Facility or contracted Civilian Facility. Rather than either 1. Having to travel to a different state to serve in your specialty or 2. Being assigned as a GMO, the Army Reserve will utilize you for your skill. The community aspect of the National Guard is the same in the Army Reserve. You will still serve locally for the most part. The Army as a whole is huge on the community relations aspect. The DIMA program is only open to Prior Service physicians because of the complexity of the program. It takes someone that understands the Army structure to fully understand the requirements. I have personally transitioned several residents into the Army Reserve from the National Guard because of the vacancy issue, which is a repeat of the lengthy application process. The type of assignments you will be placed in the Army Reserve can be phenomenal, to include but not limited to, International Humanitarian Aid missions, Joint force missions with partnering countries, International Disaster Relief, Augmented missions, and much more. Embrace the Challenge, Live the Adventure, and enjoy your service to the fullest extent.

while i appreciate the differences of army reserve vs. national guard, i wanted to know if anyone in the community knows the form army reserve submits once a month for drilling purposes. is this DA 1380? just wanted to verify. thanks