Mechanism's on MCAT, how do they appear.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baylor2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be a sophomore this year in my university. I was just brushing up on some Chem I & II and I came across reaction mechanisms. Since some reactions can have so many routes and can sometimes be a bit ambiguous. How did you, those who've taken the MCAT, see it on the MCAT.
THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

in general, the mechanisms on the MCAT are ones that you've probably never seen before. but don't worry, this doesn't make it more difficult for us. they'll ask questions about specific steps in the mechanism that will make you refer back to the figures and retrieve the relevant information.

for example, they may ask: what is they hybridization of carbon 3 in step one of the ____ mechanism? or maybe something referring to oxidation/reduction, or even absolute configuration (R/S).

hope this helped

in general, the mechanisms on the MCAT are ones that you've probably never seen before. but don't worry, this doesn't make it more difficult for us. they'll ask questions about specific steps in the mechanism that will make you refer back to the figures and retrieve the relevant information.

for example, they may ask: what is they hybridization of carbon 3 in step one of the ____ mechanism? or maybe something referring to oxidation/reduction, or even absolute configuration (R/S).

hope this helped

Thanks a lot, I felt a bit lost but with your advice I guess I feel much more confident