Med application and/or Biostatistics Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whtnoise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’d like to get some advice about my career prospects. I intend to apply to MD programs in the upcoming cycle for admission in 2016. It has been two years since I graduated from a highly regarded private university in California. My overall GPA is a 3.5 with a science GPA of 3.1, with significant negative outliers in physics and organic chemistry. My MCAT is a 34 with a 9 physical sciences 12 natural sciences 13 verbal. I applied during the 2015 cycle to 12 schools exclusively outside of California, mainly in the Northeast with final secondary applications submitted September to October, held up mostly by my failure to get letters of evaluation. I did not receive any interviews.

I have worked for the past two years as a laboratory research assistant in a cancer research laboratory and am happy in my position. In addition I am regularly (weekly) shadowing oncology clinicians. My PI is suggesting that I begin a masters program (we have discussed biostatistics programs, mainly because of my work on current projects in the lab) He believes that to apply to medical school in my current position would not yield a significantly different result from the previous application cycle.

When speaking to my advisor it seems that submission of an essentially similar application to a greater number of schools and at the earliest possible dates could make a significant difference. Most of my interest lies in research. I have been seriously considering applying to a masters program for health sciences bachelor’s in applied biostatistics and epidemiology. I have thought that this would make a meaningful difference in future opportunities as an MD perhaps working in clinical trials.

How realistic is a position working in clinical research as an MD? Is this something that I should plan for now? How much overlap is there between biostatistics training and Medical school curriculum? Is my application currently lacking for application for admission in 2016?

Thanks for reading all of the above. Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar place to you about 7 years ago in terms of overall GPA and MCAT while considering a MPH in Epi and stats. What exactly were your low science courses? What's your total number of shadowing and volunteering hours?

Now to answer to meat of your question. Yes, there are opportunities to work as a physcian researcher but most people do not. There is a very small amount of direct overlap between grad work in biostats and medical ciricula. They cover a primer of biostats and epi in a week or two in med school.

However, having a good background in epi and stats is wonderful for a career in evidence based clinical medicine. You will understand concepts that are applied everyday at a much higher level. You can critique articles well which is something many physicians aren't good at.

That said, a maters in stats would't directly help you gain admission to med school. In helps indirectly by showing smarts if you do well and commitment to the biomedical method. It can also open up connections with physicians but you already have that with your job.

How much will the maters costs you? Both in terms of $? And in opportunity costs? Is it one or two years long? Would you be happy with that career in itself?

Thank you very much for your insight. My low grades were C+ in two semesters of Physics and Organic Chemistry in my 2nd and 4th years of undergraduate.

I might be happy working in epi/biostats, though I'm not very well-informed right now. Can I ask how you have experience with Epi/Biostats professionals? Or what might be a good way for me to get a feel for the work?

I do have contacts through my work now. Money is a factor. If an M.S. program would have little overlap, then the debate seems to be pro: demonstrate continuing achievement following undergraduate con: cost, time, possibly distraction from medical education.

I appreciate your help. It's a big relief to get some additional perspectives on these questions.

If your cancer lab is part of an academic hospital, go to preventive medicine or the biostats grand rounds.

Ask the PD of the master program your are considering to hook you up with some experience, such as local conferences.

To answer the other question: you could just reapply to med school this next cycle. apply early, broadly with an eye on fit. Keep in mind, if you start a grad program they probably want you to finish it before starting med school.

Are you considering MD/PhD? What do you want to do with your training and life?