Med Management billing question (outpatient only)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milesed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm being told by our billing department that we are not able to bill for any service higher than 99213 for established and 99203 for new patients. It started with Medicaid/MCO's and now they say it also pertains to Medicare and private insurance companies. Is this possible?

I thought the coding changes that took effect a few years ago were to help with parity. This seems like a huge step back if it's true. Are you all being paid for 99214, 99215, 99204 and 99205 level visits?

Members don't see this ad.

I bill almost all new visits as 99205 (unless patient is late). sounds like complete nonsense. how much time do you get for new intakes? what about follow ups? I usually bill 99213 + 90833 or 99214 for follow ups (30 mins)

my understanding is CMS is only scrutinizing overuse of level 5 codes. however if you see a patient who requires hospitalization the level of complexity/severity, and time (certainly going to take 40 mins to sort out) would justify 99215 billing. remember under coding is just as fraudulent as over coding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would question the veracity of this information. Are they confusing inpatient coding for outpatient? There are only 3 levels for inpatient, which might explain the confusion. I have heard nothing about CMS saying you can't bill a level 4. By their own definition, this would be fraud.

If you have a follow-up patient with generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, and insomnia, did a medically appropriate interview, recorded this interview, and are prescribing medications (really, it doesn't even matter about prescribing medications), it would be undercoding to bill for anything less than a 99214 (if you are the one managing these conditions). It doesn't matter how stable the patient is.

It would be extremely difficult to code for a 99203 for most psychiatric patients--at least the ones who I see. The bare minimum number of problem points you are looking at is 3 (because it's a new problem to you), which is moderate level medical decision-making. Thus, to get a 99203, you are looking at a patient with one stable chronic psychiatric condition with no collateral data who you prescribed an over-the-counter medication or referred to a therapist. If you're prescribing a prescription medication to a patient or keeping them on their current medications, you're at 99204 level provided the rest of your exam passes muster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our billing department says no to 99215s because of audits. 99214s are still OK.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Most of what I bill is either 99214 or 99213 follow ups with some 99205 initial evals. These are 30 min follow ups and 1 hour new evals. I bill a 99212 very rarely and 99215 almost never.