Med Peds interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teddy86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start interviewing in med peds. Thought it would be nice to share common questions people are running into on the interview trail.

What kinds of things have you been asked on your interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

There really isn't any one particular question that a program is notorious for asking. Most have been so chill. I spent about 90% of my time talking about my hobbies. I have yet to be put on the spot which is great!

Surprisingly (n=2) haven't been asked "why med-peds" in a formal interview. It has come up when a non-med/peds person is talking to all the applicants though.

So far, the typical ones--tell me about yourself, strengths/weaknesses, features of my application, etc.

I have been asked why med peds, why not family vs. peds vs. medicine, what was your proudest moment during rotations, what was your most challenging patient, what are your hobbies, what role will your significant other play in your decision of where to go to residency (after I mentioned I had a significant other, of course), what has been your favorite rotation so far and why, where do you see yourself in 5/10 years, would I be interested in participating in research, and would I be interested in academic medicine. As a D.O. student, I have also been asked to explain why I went osteopathic instead of allopathic. Mostly, though, the interviews have been very low key and friendly, with lots of questions about my cv and more time dedicated to me asking questions than answering them.