Med School a new option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMN app 20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I planned on early entry into pharmacy school, I was accepted into University of Wisconsin and placed on the unranked wait list at the University of Minnesota (unlikely to be accepted). I was told I was placed on the wait list because I didn't have enough "Pharmacy" experience. Unfortunately I live in Duluth, and with a 4 year old daughter I need to stay very close to home. What I'm wondering is...If I apply to the University of Minnesota-Duluth, would I stand a chance?

MCAT
32O
VR: 10
PS: 12
BS: 10

GPA:
Overall: 3.80
Science: 3.73

Extracurriculars:
-Work 30-35 hours/wk at a group home for people with traumatic brain injuries since I finished high school
-Volunteer for a pharmacy, have 60 hours.
-Volunteer for a hospice center, will have 200 hrs when I submit my application
-Undergraduate TA for Biology
-Biology Tutor

What more do I need to have a REALLY competitive application?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as academic credentials go, you are very competitive for UM-Duluth:
http://www.med.umn.edu/medical-scho...ction-criteria/class-profile-duluth/index.htm

Average GPA: 3.66
Average MCAT: 29
Very in-state friendly

Something that is absolutely essential for applicants to the Duluth campus is a demonstrated commitment towards rural care:
http://www.med.umn.edu/medical-scho...al-and-desired-skills-and-knowledge/index.htm

Additionally, it would be in your best interest to partake in a variety of non-medical volunteer work or community outreach prior to applying.

I planned on early entry into pharmacy school, I was accepted into University of Wisconsin and placed on the unranked wait list at the University of Minnesota (unlikely to be accepted). I was told I was placed on the wait list because I didn't have enough "Pharmacy" experience. Unfortunately I live in Duluth, and with a 4 year old daughter I need to stay very close to home. What I'm wondering is...If I apply to the University of Minnesota-Duluth, would I stand a chance?

Why did you want to do pharmacy? Why do you now not want to do pharmacy? Why did you not apply to medical school before? Why now?

The answer to all of those questions can't be that you really want to stay in Duluth, or you are in for a world of pain. Yes, you can get into UM-D with you stats and experience. Should you though? What is your motivation to pursue probably the most grueling training and career path possible? Most people don't chase the dream of becoming a pharmacist because they enjoy suffering. UM-D will legitimately want to know the answers to these questions. Best of luck.