Med School at 48 - why I'm not discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that was a VERY VERY interesting read...

on one hand I have to admire the OP...but on the other, I have to question his religious opinions...

I too, am a Non-Trad Pre-Med Student...I just registered to start taking my pre-reqs today...and tomorrow I turn, dare i say it, 42...

I am also a very devout Christian...and am doing this because I really think it's what God is calling me to do...

but...I haven't attained that level of financial security of my life...but at the same time I'm not going to medical school because of the money...

I am going to medical school because I have always wanted to be a doctor...I am going to medical school because I have learned through my long hard life...that I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me...and I have learned that God takes the impossible, makes it harder, and then gets it done...

so if this is really what i am supposed to do...then I am sure that its going to be hard as heck...but in the end...one way or another it will work out and come to be...

and it must be because earlier today, I didn't have any idea how I was going to pay for this my first semester of going back to school...but by 7:00 this evening I had been awarded a grant, paid for my first two classes, got money for books and supplies, and got my picture taken for my student id!...

so how am i gonna do this...I'm going to do this with God's help...one day at a time...and I'm gonna continuously remind myself...that...

GOD...take the impossible...makes it harder...then gets it done....

and

I'm in a hurry...but God is not...so I'm gonna slow down and take it One Day at a Time!!!...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey no problem. I do hope you at least check it out.......Best of luck to you!!

I just wanted to give you something to think about that we're studying in church...

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth... Matt.5:5

You are blessed when you're content with just who you are - no more, no less.
That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought. Matt.5:5 [from the Message translation]

Jesus actually described himself as meek..."Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart." Matt.11:29

Meek : Gentle but Strong : Strength that is under control and tinged with a spirit of caring

Blessed are the meek (the gentle but strong; Strength that is under control and tinged with a spirit of caring), for they will inherit the earth...

Members don't see this ad :)
And, upon self-examination, I believe that this is the real reason that I am hesitant to go the DO route. There are still too many places where they don't think someone is a "real" doctor unless they have that "MD" after their name. I fear that I might not be able to treat some people who otherwise could be helped.

Bull. ****. Listen to yourself. "I fear I may not be able to help some people who otherwise could be helped...(if I had an MD)".

You wonder why you're getting roasted here? Because your pompous religious attitude is making people sick.

Oh, and as a corollary, wasnt there a story in the bible about the man who did a few good deeds and went out proclaiming them to all he met...for the benefit of his own pride?

Meek : Gentle but Strong : Strength that is under control and tinged with a spirit of caring

If you're studying this in church then you all have gone over how complex this subject is. That which is called "meek" by the dominant culture is not always meekness. These words: "Pride, arrogance, ambition, confidence, meekness, gentleness, humility, obsequiousness, subservience" seem to be on a sliding scale, and the Christian should be on the lower end. And yet if you study the great men of the Bible - Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Peter, Paul - they would all be commonly placed on the upper end. Even Jesus was no shrinking violet. But Moses was the meekest man that ever lived and Jesus was "meek and lowly in heart."

So meekness seems to be something different than quietly taking a back seat when others speak.

A person is never very good at judging themselves. I could give you examples of times that I let gladly gave the credit to others or pushed others into positons that I would have liked to have. But an all-seeing God knows the times when I preferred myself to my brother.

Meekness is a virtue that must be sought and maintained every day - and I am striving to do so - sometimes more successfully than others.

On the other hand. I don't think that this has much to do with this discussion, because I haven't been hostile or responded with hostility when insulted. In fact, I think that I have sought ways to agree with those who want to find fault.

It would be terrible to have a doctor who was "meek" in the common sense of the word - a pushover. "Well, ok, if you want another 180 pills of oxycontin I guess I'll give them to you. I don't want to hurt your feelings."

Oh, and as a corollary, wasnt there a story in the bible about the man who did a few good deeds and went out proclaiming them to all he met...for the benefit of his own pride?

Not that I know of. That would certainly be a good story. But it ain't in there. You may be referring to the Pharisee and the publican in the temple, but he was talking to God and himself, so this doesn't relate. It certainly doesn't apply to me, since I don't think of the things I do as qualifying me as righteous. I do think that some of those things do qualify me for Medical school though. That seems to be an appropriate set of things to mention when the title of the thread is "Why I'm not discouraged". As far as listing my good deeds, I haven't mentioned any of those. It's not a list that I would ever make, even in my head - although I hope that it wouldn't be short.

As far as a "pompous, religious attitude". That's nonsense. I haven't once criticized anyone's religion. My ministry I listed only as an adjunct to how I work with the homeless. I mentioned several times the sort of things that I say to the homeless, but these things are so much like Rick Warren's "Purpose-Driven Life" teaching that they are close to quotes.

I won't respond to insults with insults, but isn't a little bit a pompousness a pretty common attribute to several people on this thread?

I have got my question answered here and really don't want to go on arguing with people who want to discuss my religion.

Yes, my state school does admit people in their fifties. There are scholarships (although not always full-ride) scholarships available there. An admission into a big-name school is possible, although difficult for everyone, whatever their age.. It depends on my MCAT score. From this thread and from talking to doctors in the last few days I am confident that the discimination against older students is not that extreme.

I won't respond to insults with insults, but isn't a little bit a pompousness a pretty common attribute to several people on this thread?

Why say you wont insult and then proceed to do it? Even if it was underhanded its still an insult directed at others. Well done.

That aside...if you feel God is calling you to this path then who cares about people discouraging it.
God is good and he does have a great plan, as you tell your homeless friends, but its not always as we see it. His plan for for some is to stay homeless...to die homeless. His great plan doesnt always involve healing that disease or pulling them out poverty...not a criticism, more one of the difficulties I deal with in a faith-based free clinic.

If you have the strength and energy to complete medical school and residency into your 50's then go for it. Dont let not getting into a MD school stop you from becoming a physician. While a lot of places in the world don't yet recognize DO, the number of countries are growing and I know several DOs who still do extensive missions work even in countries who dont recognize the degree.

Lastly, there have been plenty of older premeds who have posted and received encouragement on here without receiving flak...a bit more humility and tone down the religious fervor and the people on here can be very helpful.

Why say you wont insult and then proceed to do it? Even if it was underhanded its still an insult directed at others. Well done.

That aside...if you feel God is calling you to this path then who cares about people discouraging it.
God is good and he does have a great plan, as you tell your homeless friends, but its not always as we see it. His plan for for some is to stay homeless...to die homeless. His great plan doesnt always involve healing that disease or pulling them out poverty...not a criticism, more one of the difficulties I deal with in a faith-based free clinic.

If you have the strength and energy to complete medical school and residency into your 50's then go for it. Dont let not getting into a MD school stop you from becoming a physician. While a lot of places in the world don't yet recognize DO, the number of countries are growing and I know several DOs who still do extensive missions work even in countries who dont recognize the degree.

Lastly, there have been plenty of older premeds who have posted and received encouragement on here without receiving flak...a bit more humility and tone down the religious fervor and the people on here can be very helpful.

I have received encouragement here and a lot of useful information. The people who came after me also flamed others in other threads who had the temerity to say that they believed that they could succeed at over 40. Some people have that habit. It makes them feel good. I got more posts because I reply.

I'm glad to hear of your work in the clinic. I'm not sure that I would agree that God's will is for someone to stay homeless, but I get your point. It might be his will for them to help themselves permanently over time as opposed to being lifted out temporarily by a single act of generosity. Each case is different. We could share stories and end up with an infinity of cases.

I don't agree with your comment about the religious ferver. You won't be able to find a single case of me posting here anything "fervent". I dare say that your post is more "religious" than anything I posted. I certainly didn't quote several passages of scripture as someone else did. The only time I even mentioned religion was in connection with my work for the homeless. I didn't talk about "God's will for my life", quote a scripture, refer to prayer. All I did was say that my religion fervently leads me to help others. My posts wouldn't even reveal what particular brand of Christianity I am. I could be anything from an Anglican to a Mormon to a southern Baptist.

I don't feel mistreated here. No one treated me significantly different than they treat others and many folks gave me considerable information. I did directly challenge the bad information and discouragement that some folks posted in the sticky threads and that ticked them off. I expect people like that to be ticked and to call me "proud' because I didn't bow to them.

I stopped bowing to bullies decades ago.

I'm not sure that I would agree that God's will is for someone to stay homeless, but I get your point.

I dont see how you can claim God's omnipotence and say that something that has existed and will continue to exist not His will...

That aside, dont let not having the initials of MD after your name prevent you from pursuing your goal...I think refusing to settle for anything less than MD is arrogance when you can be used in the same way with a DO. Going to an osteopathic school is not settling for less, and to imply as much is insulting. There are many DO schools who prepare students much better for their careers than some MD schools.

I dont see how you can claim God's omnipotence and say that something that has existed and will continue to exist not His will...

That aside, dont let not having the initials of MD after your name prevent you from pursuing your goal...I think refusing to settle for anything less than MD is arrogance when you can be used in the same way with a DO. Going to an osteopathic school is not settling for less, and to imply as much is insulting. There are many DO schools who prepare students much better for their careers than some MD schools.

DO vs MD --- Now there IS a religious issue. :laugh:

Ed,

If you read carefully, most people in this thread were not telling you that you can't go to medical school at your age. It was more a question of if you should go at this stage in your life. My remarks in particular were directed at your seemingly arrogant approach to what amounts to a very big decision. It's not very mature to respond by reminiscing of living in a cardboard box and constantly insisting that your wife won't mind living in a tree if necessary. Please stop the incessant bloviating. I expect these types of rants from someone in their early twenties.

In any event, I hope that wisdom will guide your decision. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meekness is a virtue that must be sought and maintained every day - and I am striving to do so - sometimes more successfully than others.

It would be terrible to have a doctor who was "meek" in the common sense of the word - a pushover. "Well, ok, if you want another 180 pills of oxycontin I guess I'll give them to you. I don't want to hurt your feelings."

Actually it would be terrible to have a doctor as arrogant, condescending, and pompous as you, Ed...

your comment 'sometimes more successfully than others' shows a complete lack of meekness...

You know, I re-read your original post...because you reminded me of someone...and you sound just like him...:mad:

My father...an old school fundamentalist Southern Baptist Preacher whose arrogant, condescending, and pompous attitude allowed him to beat his wife (my mom) damn near to death on Saturday night...yet get up on Sunday morning and preach the Word of God from the pulpit...after bad mouthing my mom to the brothers and sisters in the church...

Fortunately for us, my dad died when I was 7...I'm not trying to discourage you from reaching your dream...but I honestly think that you're going to dig your own grave...with that attitude of yours...

Actually it would be terrible to have a doctor as arrogant, condescending, and pompous as you, Ed...

your comment 'sometimes more successfully than others' shows a complete lack of meekness...

You know, I re-read your original post...because you reminded me of someone...and you sound just like him...:mad:

My father...an old school fundamentalist Southern Baptist Preacher whose arrogant, condescending, and pompous attitude allowed him to beat his wife (my mom) damn near to death on Saturday night...yet get up on Sunday morning and preach the Word of God from the pulpit...after bad mouthing my mom to the brothers and sisters in the church...

Fortunately for us, my dad died when I was 7...I'm not trying to discourage you from reaching your dream...but I honestly think that you're going to dig your own grave...with that attitude of yours...

If you would actually read the posts instead of just being insulting, you would see that "others" refers to "times" not "people".

You are so far from accurate in your assessment of me that I don't believe that you are even being honest. To try to tar someone with the brush of "wife-beater" shows how far you are willing to depart from civil conversation.

So when did you stop beating your wife?

OP, just a couple things to consider

1) residency: Are you aware that strictly speaking you do not get to decide where you complete your residency? Sure, you get to narrow down the field, but it is still something for both you and your wife to consider. Also, during residency, I have heard there isn't a whole lot of free time. That could reasonably be 3 or more years of practice when you won't be doing exactly what you want.

2) Are these missionary trips you plan to participate in paid positions? If not, you may have a hard time finding a job which will allow you to be gone for such long periods of time.

3) Speaking of a job, if you won't be a full time missionary, and are practicing as a physician will you enjoy "just" that? Do you even know what the day to day of being a physician involves? I know you said you are going to do some shadowing, but if at this point, you don't have any significant clinical experience, your determination could really be just blind enthusiasm.

4) I know you say our wife supports you, but is that really the case? Does she know that supporting this decision means losing significant amounts of time together for at least the next 7 years? While I am not saying this definitely applies to you, let's talk about learned helplessness. If you are of the common Protestant belief that the man is the head of the household, and you have been making decisions alone or only with taking her opinion in consideration for the last however many years, couldn't her "support" possibly be a form of learned helplessness in which she "supports" you because she knows it really makes no difference what she thinks?

I am in no way against you or any older applicant going to medical school. My dad was a non-traditional applicant and I know first hand how this process can cause tensions and problems for families.

Go for it EdLongshanks! Hopefully you'll get into a public school and debt will be much less. What field are you considering? Good Luck!

Folks, I would hate to have to shut this thread down, because I know a lot of you find the OP's story inspiring or at least interesting. But we are starting to get complaints about some of the posts, and you are all aware that personal attacks are against the SDN TOS. I therefore respectfully request that all concerned refrain from further accusations of wife-beating. Also, since the OP has already conceded that he is not a meek person, there is probably no need to continue beating him up over that point, either. ;)

I just turned 40 and am in the middle of the application process for matriculation in 2010. I do not advertise my age because I have received a large share of negativity from family (mainly), friends, neighbors and church members. I have learned to quietly dismiss this talk or to avoid it altogether. I know what my goal is and what it will take me to get there.

I too have done much by way of community service. I'm impressed that you are involved with ministering to people who are suffering from homelessness. I'm not going to make any value judgments about this state, as that has already been done. I, however, have not heard about the lessons learned, the traits observed, and the type of physician you would like to emulate.

I understand you want to work in a missionary type situation. My goal is to do an unbelievable amount of humanitarian work through Doctors Without Borders, the USNS Hope (floating naval hospital for underserved communities throughout the world), and other charitable organizations. However, as much community service as I have done, it is the change that rendering this service has caused in my mind and heart that has made me see what kind of doctor I want to become (excellent clinician with incredible compassion). I did not enter this process assured in the fact that I was a stellar candidate for medical school. I was confident it could be done and have not been distracted by naysayers.

But, along the way, I have learned about the type of doctor I want to become. I am not there yet, although I'm closer to that ideal than I was when I started with my post-bac prerequisites. This process is not for the faint-hearted; it is grueling, expensive, and time-consuming. It is about becoming a better person, a better student, a better advocate for others, and the best representative of medicine that you can possibly be.

In my opinion, this process makes you an excellent physican, as you learn and become more aware of what caring for the sick, injured and those in pain entails. Without shadowing or other clinical exposure, the premed picture of being a physician is truly incomplete. I don't care what your credentials are. Find a doctor that you consider to be a great role model for your path towards medicine and become a sponge of learning (shadow this person if possible). It is the only way that one can become a well-rounded physician.

OP, just a couple things to consider

1) residency: ...
2) missionary trips ...
3) will you enjoy "just" working as a physician
4) wife.

These are excellent questions and deserve thoughtful answers.

Question 1) the residency. I could be wrong on this, but from what I can tell, a resident is a low paid doctor, who although he is learning and not yet board certified, is, nevertheless, treating patients and helping people. Is this an inaccurate impression?

2) The missionary work. Doctor's without borders is a great organization and I would join that if I didn't have somewhere else to help that is even better. There are 2 groups of people that doctors without borders cannot reach that I can. I'll just mention one of them. The Cuna indians live on the Panamanian islands. My church fellowship happens to be the only Americans that the chiefs allow to come onto the islands. There are no other doctors in my fellowship that I know of. These people have little access to medical care. There is one clinic on one island. My friend went down there on a evangelistic trip a few years ago and told me that one night he and the other preachers prayed for a set of dying babies. I determined at that time that when I go, I intend to make sure that I've allowed God to prepare me for prayer plus practical help.

I can help with occasional trips. The doctor positions that I've seen advertised here in Oklahoma seem to be a "7 on, 7 off" sort of rotation. Seems like it leaves lots of time for side work.

Question 3) Working as "just" a doctor. Although I haven't done shadowing, yet. I have actually in the last few years spent quite a bit of time in doctor's offices. My son has a very bad case of rheumatoid arthritis which necessitates me spending quite a bit of time with his Rheumatologist and Orthopedic doctor. It is, in fact, his orthopedic doctor who has agreed to let me shadow. My other son had a ruptured appendix a few months before that, and I am the one who did all of his personal care. At one point while I was performing an unpleasant task he said to me. "I suppose you think that I'm going to pay you back for this when you're in a nursnig home, but I'm not."

I also was badly burned in a kitchen fire a few months ago and spent quite a few days in the hospital. I have used these opportunities to talk to every resident and doctor that I can. (Even when I was shaking with pain and getting pumped with morphine) I think that I have a pretty good idea of what this life is like. I want it. - No, not the cars, and the clothes and boats and toys, but the life of actually making a difference - the life of making a sick person into a well one - or the life of helping the sick person who will never get well, but can nevertheless be helped to be happy.

4) My wife - Excellent and insightful question. Just to be sure, I went and asked her, using your post. I got the answer that I expected. My wife does not want me to do this. She could be happy if I would work the rest of my life in this home office using VPN to communicate with my co-workers. She would continue to bring me glasses of iced sweet tea and crackers with the cheese cut "just so" and I would grow fat and old and faded and miserable - and she can't be happy when I'm not.

So she is going back to school so that she can gain an education and work together with me in some way. We both know that this will strain our marriage, but, as I say, that is like straining an old redwood. It can take a few storms.

If you would actually read the posts instead of just being insulting, you would see that "others" refers to "times" not "people".

You are so far from accurate in your assessment of me that I don't believe that you are even being honest. To try to tar someone with the brush of "wife-beater" shows how far you are willing to depart from civil conversation.

So when did you stop beating your wife?

:) Ed...

If you were insulted by my words, I apologize...they were not meant to insult or to be construed as personal attacks to you or any other SDN members...

however...they were brutally honest...and accurate in that you do have a very arrogant, condescending, and pompous ATTITUDE that is not very attractive in the Medical Field...

as for trying to "tar someone with the brush of 'wife-beater'...I was doing no such thing to you or any other SDN members...I was merely speaking from experience...lots of experience....

My paternal uncle...a Southern Baptist Minister with a very arrogant, condescending, and pompous attitude...

My maternal uncle...a Southern Baptist Minister with a very arrogant, condescending, and pompous attitude...

My childhood pastor...who baptized me...a southern baptist minister with a very arrogant, condescending, pompous attitude...

My own father...a Southern baptist minister with a very arrogant, condescending, pompous attitude who was a "wife-beater" not only with his first wife, but with his second wife (my mom) also...

and in response to your last question, "So when did you stop beating your wife?"
When I made the best decision of my life: to NEVER ever marry a Southern Baptist Minister or Pastor of any type :))Yes, I am a woman...so should I be offended or insulted by that last question, Ed? )

However, as much community service as I have done, it is the change that rendering this service has caused in my mind and heart that has made me see what kind of doctor I want to become.

Rita, I agree. In this thread I have spoken a lot about myself and not as much about my second-favorite subject :) - the homeless population.

Let me tell you about John - the lost boy. At that time we were running a work in a large city out west. Each week I would make the best brisket, potato and gravy dinner that I could prepare (and I will modestly say that that is a pretty good one ) and then pick up whoever wanted to come and eat with us. Before and after the dinner we would try to help them with the problems that kept them on the street.

We first found John down at one of the youth shelters. He was 19 and had already been warned once that he would get thrown out if they caught him with drugs again. He had been in foster homes since before he could remember. He'd been adopted once or twice, but his adoptive parents eventually gave him back to the system because of his problems. By the time we met him, John literally did not know his own name. It had been changed by the adoption and his original birth certificate was no longer available. John was lost, truly lost. He did not even know who he was.

John moved in with one of the men of the church who ran a construction crew and started working for him. A woman who lived next door to the house they were building was a compassionate former school teacher. She went to battle with the bureacracy to recover John's original birth certificate and won. We found out that he had been born in a little town up north. The folks began calling everyone in that town with that same last name and found his grandmother. She burst into tears and begged us to send him back home to his family. They said that they were going to send him to college. We gathered the money for the bus fare and sent him.

I wish that I could tell you that was the end of the story, but I can't. I few weeks later John was back. His grandmother wasn't interested in supporting a druggie. John wasn't lost on the outside, he was lost on the inside. It wasn't just his physical situation that needed help.

I remember the Sunday morning that he came back. According to the dates on my notes I taught on "Scarcely" - "For scarcely for a righteous man will one die", but despite how rare and precious this kind of love is, yet God has it toward us.

Someone else preached (I don't remember his sermon) but John came and prayed that morning. I have heard of people crying a "bucketful of tears" but this is the only time that I have ever seen it. John sobbed and snotted and cried. He literally ruined the carpet beside the altar. And something changed for him that morning. A few weeks later he was working a regular job at Subway and few months after that he started Bible school. The last report that I had of him, he was doing well.

When you ask what kind of doctor I want to be, this is my answer. The kind who will deal with both kinds of sickness, the one on the inside and on the outside. I want to be the kind of doctor who can walk into the room with family of a sick child, knowing that I had done everything possible, and pray with them, together, to Him who is beyond the physical.

Folks, I would hate to have to shut this thread down, because I know a lot of you find the OP's story inspiring or at least interesting. But we are starting to get complaints about some of the posts, and you are all aware that personal attacks are against the SDN TOS. I therefore respectfully request that all concerned refrain from further accusations of wife-beating. Also, since the OP has already conceded that he is not a meek person, there is probably no need to continue beating him up over that point, either. ;)

QofQuimica...

As I mentioned and explained in my previous reply, none of my posts were meant to insult anyone or to be taken as personal attacks against the OP or any other SDN members...and if they were, then I do apologize...

However, I did feel a need to post my last reply (Titled: My Last Reply to this Thread) in defense of myself.

Again, if my words offended anyone or resulted in complaints to you, then I sincerely apologize, as that was not my intention at all.

And as the title of my previous reply states, I will NOT post any more replies to this thread.

Thank You.

When I made the best decision of my life: to NEVER ever marry a Southern Baptist Minister or Pastor of any type :))Yes, I am a woman...so should I be offended or insulted by that last question, Ed? )

I think that we are done with useful conversation. You're obviously speaking to a caricature based upon some past acquaintances of yours.

Umm, nothing against the organization that you mention - it's got some very nice people in it - but it's not mine.

Go for it EdLongshanks! Hopefully you'll get into a public school and debt will be much less. What field are you considering? Good Luck!

I don't know enough about the different fields yet. I would like to try Emergency Medicine since it is "a mile wide and inch deep" as they say. From what I can tell, it is the one that is most likely to bring me into contact with folks with which my previous experience can be useful.

I've also thought about oncology, since it deals with so much end-of-life issues. While I could never be as good as Gregory House's friend Wilson, I could probably be some help here. On the other hand, my instincts would lead me into the research field here. I like to offer hope, not palliation. But then my instincts would have led me away from directly helping people, which is the whole purpose, after all.

I've heard that Radiologists make the most money - but again, radiologists don't deal directly with people, and again, that is the purpose.

Last chance - anything further off-topic and personal, and the thread will really have to be closed. Please, don't feel the need to respond to this or to justify the comments that have been posted. Thanks.

I don't know enough about the different fields yet. I would like to try Emergency Medicine since it is "a mile wide and inch deep" as they say. From what I can tell, it is the one that is most likely to bring me into contact with folks with which my previous experience can be useful.

I've also thought about oncology, since it deals with so much end-of-life issues. While I could never be as good as Gregory House's friend Wilson, I could probably be some help here. On the other hand, my instincts would lead me into the research field here. I like to offer hope, not palliation. But then my instincts would have led me away from directly helping people, which is the whole purpose, after all.

I've heard that Radiologists make the most money - but again, radiologists don't deal directly with people, and again, that is the purpose.

Don't "put the cart in front of the horse" rookie. You are far too removed from the process to be considering specialties at this point. Your focus and emphasis needs to be on completing your pre-med studies (with a very strong performance; easier said than done) and getting into medical school. Confidence is good but confidence that is not backed up with solid performance tends to fall into the category of " self-delusion". Focus on your goal and get the job done. It's quite doable but the "mulling over the residencies" is a bit premature even for folks who are just starting the first year of medical school let alone pre-med. Good luck!

To the OP, you are arrogant. Please accept and understand that. And please understand that that attitude has no place during the application process (especially the interview) or in medical school.

From what I'm seeing, others are basically telling you: "you have good stats; do well on the MCAT, do well on your classes, and do more clinical stuff; then you'll have a good chance; age should have nothing to do with your competitiveness." In general, people support you.

And you in turn seem to be saying "I am the best; I do not need to be humble; I do not need to listen to all these people posting advice about how I need to be humble; I will rock the MCAT and I will get into med school; I have no respect for DO's."

I'm sure you've heard about what questions will be asked during interviews. The most common one is "why should we accept you to our school, (insert school here)?"

Based on your attitude, I see you answering this as follows:

"Why not? I grew up with nothing, and today I got myself cars, cash, a house, and a $@#%ing pool. F... all those haters who told me I would never amount to anything. I got to where I am today by working my ***** off. Nobody has the work ethic I do. You think your med students are as good as me? Huh? Well, F... that! I am better than anyone of them. You tell me which of them has a house with a pool. Didn't think you could. So you better understand .. I am the best candidate you will ever interview. Now I am a humble man. So I will be willing to wait outside while you write my acceptance letter."

You tell me .. do you think that is the right attitude for any med school applicant?

Btw, I am not a DO student. But I feel that DO's are the same as MD's.

I think you're a little confused here. Meek does not mean weak.

Kobe Bryant may be the best player in the NBA. But even he is "meek" enough to understand that he cannot win games by himself. If he had taken all the shots by himself, the Lakers would not have beaten the Magic this year.

Also, in your example, I can picture you telling the patient who wants 180 pills ... you'd probably scream at him for being dumb, hit him upside the head, tell him the GTFO of your office, and then - just before he leaves - tell him that DO's are worthless.

I wonder what the consequences of your actions would be...

Status
Not open for further replies.