med school but thinking of going back to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julie88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,
I am currently in second year in med school in Poland and have lately been re-examining my career choices. I am doing fine academically in med school right now but at this beginning of the year I don't know I'm not as motivated as I should be ….. . I just seriously wonder if I would enjoy becoming a vet rather than continuing on my path to becoming a physician because I've got a big passion for animals since my childhood . I also love human medicine but I'm missing contacts with animals right now …. but I wonder if it would be better and worth to change and to go back to vet school to pursue my passion ?
What I'm really wondering is if anybody could give me a better idea of what vet job or physician job is like exactly ? Because I feel quite lost and unsure about my future right now and we only have one life so I need to decide …..
I know of course that I'll have to decide by myself at the end but at the age of 19 it's not easy sometimes to project oneself into the future so it would still be nice to have some advices .
Thanks in advance .

Members don't see this ad.

A few things to remember about your fields...

1) I'm sure Med school is Poland is expensive. You would have a ton of debt if you just left.

2) vet school is expensive too. However, in our profession, you don't pay back debt as easily. That's a huge factor to keep in mind compared to medical school.

3) vet schools are very competitive. Much more so than medical schools. There's no guarantee you'll be accepted the first time. The average applicant tries to get in 3 times.

Maybe you are homesick and having a pet would help? Is there anywhere you could get clinical experience? A vet you could talk to? A doctor you could talk to? Leaving medical school is going to be a big decision, and not the kind you can make on the fly. Make sure you know for certain where the lack of motivation is coming from.

Have you posted in the medical threads? They can help too since they are MS students.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you love human medicine, don't switch. Finish med school and get some pets.

Reactions: 2 users
A few things to remember about your fields...

1) I'm sure Med school is Poland is expensive. You would have a ton of debt if you just left.

2) vet school is expensive too. However, in our profession, you don't pay back debt as easily. That's a huge factor to keep in mind compared to medical school.

3) vet schools are very competitive. Much more so than medical schools. There's no guarantee you'll be accepted the first time. The average applicant tries to get in 3 times.

Maybe you are homesick and having a pet would help? Is there anywhere you could get clinical experience? A vet you could talk to? A doctor you could talk to? Leaving medical school is going to be a big decision, and not the kind you can make on the fly. Make sure you know for certain where the lack of motivation is coming from.

All of the above may not be true if she is a citizen of Poland. Which I am thinking that she is, given her age.

Educational finances are much different in other countries, some places even having where college is completely free.

Reactions: 2 users
All of the above may not be true if she is a citizen of Poland. Which I am thinking that she is, given her age.

Educational finances are much different in other countries, some places even having where college is completely free.

Whoops... My bad. I completely forget that other countries have it together when it comes to higher education. :shrug: OP, ignore me if that is the case lol.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand the vet job saturation in Europe is way worse than in the US. So the grads there don't have a lot of debt, but it may be very difficult to find a job. That said, is it possible to shadow a med dr and a vet for a few days and see what it is like there?

Sounds like the typical loss of caring that occurs whether you are in vet med or human med. Four years of a medical curriculum will drain even the most enthusiastic of people. I imagine the same problem would pop right back up, possibly even sooner when the OP finds that vet med education is not really that much different.

thanks for all your reply , actually I still need to pay for the university as I am french but with polish origins and 1 year ago I was accepted in both vet and med school in Poland and vet school is actually cheaper than med school .
I just feel that I may regret not to have the opportunity to have such a great knowledge in animal's biology …. but apparently from what I heard there is too much women in vet school right now in Europe so yes there may be a job saturation in the future , that's for this reason I chose human medicine at the beginning because we lack doctors but still at this moment I'm undecided but this may be because it's the beginning of the year ….. Besides in vet school you have species variation . I am afraid I would get bored only focusing on one (humans)...Many people say that if you can see yourself doing anything else, then don't go into vet med; but I don't know how to feel about that, so I kind of want some insight. I would really appreciate any feedback/advice...I have been stressing out so much about this . I know I shouldn't , but I just want to make the right choice and be happy with it and that's why I need to make my decision soon . Any other advices ?

Last edited:
By the third year of vet school I was bored as well. Its called burn out and happens to every regardless of the species variation.

By the third year of vet school I was bored as well. Its called burn out and happens to every regardless of the species variation.
thanks for your reply bbeventer, in which year of vet school are you now ? Are you happy ? Was it what you expected ?