Med School in Canada: Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ofcourse1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing about the application involved for Canadian med schools. I currently have a GPA of 3.0 which I can raise to 3.2 when I finish this June. I took the MCAT and I got the worst possible score; will be retaking it in May-I'm aiming for a 500 overall score. I have one publication coming up as a second author. Do numbers matter, what I mean to say is does it matter if I do two weeks of shadowing (which is what I've done so far) versus doing two months of shadowing? Is there a page on the OMSAS application that asks for number of hours and extracurriculars? What are my chances of getting in for Sept 2016 with my current GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

All of Canadian medical school admission statistics frequently have GPA scores associated with U.S top 20 schools.
(e.g Ottawa medical school only interviews GPA of 3.85 or higher
Average GPA of Toronto medical school matriculants for most recent class: 3.94)

They tend to care less about MCAT (30+ competitive mostly) but idk how it will change with 2015 MCAT.

Because of the small number of schools, Canada is far more selective than U.S and competition is much fiercer. In addition, Canadian medical schools have insane in-provincial bias (except for Toronto and McMaster) and you cannot even apply to any of them (except mcgill) unless you are a canadian citizen.

There is a page on OMSAS where they ask for number of hours of extracurriculars. Of course more hours in a setting is more favourable because it shows commitment

My apologies @ofcourse1 , but with your statistics and below average EC's, your chance at canadian medical schools is like 0.01%.

If you are looking to Canada as an 'easy way' of getting into medicine then just dispel that thought. You are much better off strengthening your application and applying D.O like many on SDN say here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All of Canadian medical school admission statistics frequently have GPA scores associated with U.S top 20 schools.
(e.g Ottawa medical school only interviews GPA of 3.85 or higher)

They tend to care less about MCAT (30+ competitive mostly) but idk how it will change with 2015 MCAT.

Because of the small number of schools, Canada is far more selective than U.S and competition is much fiercer. In addition, Canadian medical schools have insane in-provincial bias (except for Toronto and McMaster) and you cannot even apply to any of them (except mcgill) unless you are a canadian citizen.

My apologies @ofcourse1 , but with your statistics and below average EC's, your chance at canadian medical schools is like 0.01%.

If you are looking to Canada as an 'easy way' of getting into medicine then just dispel that thought. You are much better off strengthening your application and applying D.O like many on SDN say here.

Thank you for the quick response; I'm not looking to Canada as an easy way to get into med school. I'm studying in Toronto and I thought it would be convenient to stay within Canada for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick response; I'm not looking to Canada as an easy way to get into med school. I'm studying in Toronto and I thought it would be convenient to stay within Canada for med school.
Unless you'd like to eventually practice in Canada, it shouldn't really make a difference. Even if you do your Med school in the states, if you are a Canadian citizen ( I assume you are because you're studying in Toronto) you can still match back to Canada after so it doesn't really matter.
Only difference is Canadian schools are alot cheaper than american ones

Canadian here!

It's tough. How tough? Enough for the average number of times qualified applicants must apply before being accepted to be over 2x (2.3x or something).

First thing to consider is that very few Canadians (like 3-4) schools take international applicants.

Second, GPA/MCAT scores are quite a bit higher than your scores because of the limited schools that has driven competition up. Take a look at this document for more info: www.afmc.ca/pdf/ADMISSION_REQUIREMENTS_EN.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
where is Canadia? Is it next to Mexica?