Med School List Help Please (3.99 GPA, 517 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous.2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as I'm getting ready to apply to med school for this upcoming cycle I was wondering if you could please help me with my list of schools? Any help cutting down my list would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would take Colorado and Penn State off unless you have significant ties to the state. I would take Rush off because they look for exceptional service work.

Reactions: 1 user
You could remove Rush, Penn State and TCU from your safeties. Also remove UCR unless you are from that region or attended the undergraduate school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:
  1. UCLA
  2. USC
  3. UCI
  4. UCSD
  5. UCSF
  6. UCD
  7. UCR (ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire)
  8. Kaiser
  9. Stanford
  10. Columbia
  11. Northwestern
  12. University of Chicago
  13. Vanderbilt
  14. Mayo - AZ Campus
  15. NYU
  16. Mt Sinai
  17. Cornell
  18. Harvard
  19. Hopkins
  20. Case Western
  21. University of Michigan
  22. Boston
  23. University of Pittsburgh
  24. University of Cincinnati
  25. University of Virginia
  26. Emory
  27. Ohio State
  28. St. Louis University: 514

Thanks everyone for all of the help! I was wondering @gyngyn why you think I should remove all the safety/lower-yield schools? I'm just afraid of applying too highly and not getting in anywhere. I was born in Riverside but grew up in OC and have done all my shadowing at Kaiser Riverside, should I still take off UCR?

Also, @Goro @LizzyM @Faha @gyngyn do you think I will be a strong applicant or what my chances are for interviews/acceptances (esp for CA)?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all of the help! I was wondering @gyngyn why you think I should remove all the safety/lower-yield schools? I'm just afraid of applying too highly and not getting in anywhere. I was born in Riverside but grew up in OC and have done all my shadowing at Kaiser Riverside, should I still take off UCR?

Also, @Goro @LizzyM @Faha @gyngyn do you think I will be a strong applicant or what my chances are for interviews/acceptances (esp for CA)?
I think that you're a very strong applicant.

The wise gyngyn is recommending dumping the VCU/Rush class schools because they know from historic norms that candidates like you seldom matriculate there.

KEEP UCR on your list!

@Goro: is the work in Mexico with the Flying Samaritans something that should be left on the app, or does it look like medical tourism?

That aside, OP is golden and a rockstar.

@Goro: is the work in Mexico with the Flying Samaritans something that should be left on the app, or does it look like medical tourism?

That aside, OP is golden and a rockstar.
150 hrs of volunteering in Mexico is far more than the typical week people spend on voluntourism. Flying Samaritans seems like the real deal as well.

It won't hurt OP, and given the rest of the her app, at worst, it will be ignored.

@Goro @Walter Raleigh Thank you both so much for your input! In your opinions, should I stop volunteering with Flying Sams then? I just started this past month and was going to continue until I matriculate, but can stop if it would be detrimental to my app. Also, will I be competitive for my CA and reach schools?
Do what you love and love what you do.

How many times do we have to tell you that you're competitive?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks @Goro. Last question, are my stats/ECs good enough that I can/should add Baylor as an OOS applicant? Or would I be wasting my money since their avg is 518 and my score was below that?
Do you understand what median means??????
If you have MSAR, go look at thier 10th and 25th% iles.

• Haha