Med school on route: I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SG_GS

Ottawa
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Okay so basically, I'm looking for some honest answers to my problem. I want more than anything to go to medical school (preferably in Canada where I live). However, I just completed my first year of undergrad and I had a lot of personal problems going on that stagnated my school studies and I ended up with a GPA of 2.48 for my first year. I'm devastated, but I really need to know if I've completely screwed up and ruined any chance I have of getting into a med school. So, if I manage to maintain a high GPA for my second and third year, before I apply September of fourth year, do I still have a chance? Any advice or guidance would be truly appreciated (realistic options, honest opinions, anything that could help my application, the grades you guys think I'l need to get to compensate, etc). Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

A Trying Not to Panic, Soon To Be Second Year Student

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Okay so basically, I'm looking for some honest answers to my problem. I want more than anything to go to medical school (preferably in Canada where I live). However, I just completed my first year of undergrad and I had a lot of personal problems going on that stagnated my school studies and I ended up with a GPA of 2.48 for my first year. I'm devastated, but I really need to know if I've completely screwed up and ruined any chance I have of getting into a med school. So, if I manage to maintain a high GPA for my second and third year, before I apply September of fourth year, do I still have a chance? Any advice or guidance would be truly appreciated (realistic options, honest opinions, anything that could help my application, the grades you guys think I'l need to get to compensate, etc). Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

A Trying Not to Panic, Soon To Be Second Year Student

Its not too late because there are I believe 3 medical schools in Ontario that take your best 2 years and/or drop your worst courses, these are Queens, Western and Toronto.

Your chances at Mac are severely reduced now. Ottawa is still possible but less likely in 4th year but totally possible if you take a gap year.
These are Ottawa's requirements: A Weighted Grade Point Average is calculated using the three most recent full academic years. The most recent year is weighted x3, followed by the second most recent x2, and the third most recent x1. The thing with Ottawa is that without a 3.9+ weighted GPA and awesome ECs you basically won't have a chance since they don't look at MCAT.

The way things are though if you are in Ontario you basically are going to need a really high GPA like a 3.9+ if you want a good chance of getting in unless you have some sort of residential advantage like not being from Ontario or being from the southwest Ontario or speaking French or something.