Med School Planning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tristan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was once told that applying to residency program is like applying to med school allover again. If that is true, then what are the things that we could do to be more competitive aside from good grades, high board scores and great LORs?

Thanks for the replies in advance. I just want to plan what needs to be done instead of finding out way too late like I did during my undergrad years.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to residency was a totally different experience for me. Before I began the process, people told me that residency interviews are as much (or more) about the program selling themselves to you than you selling yourself to the program. Obviously, this is specialty and program dependent, but the residency interview process is much better than the med school interview process. Remember, only 1/3 of people applying to med school get in, whereas for residency most specialties have closer to a 1:1 ration of spots:applicants. Even the most competitive specialties have about an 80% match rate for US seniors.

As far as the strength of your application, I feel that the most important factors are LOR, third year grades, and step I scores. I was told the Dean's Letter is important to some, but this is merely a reflection of your grades and evaluations. AOA is also important for some, but again this is usually a reflection of your grades. These can get you the interview, then you just have to be personable. Other things like research experience, volunteering, student government, involvement in national organizations (AMA, AMSA, etc) can also help.

Hope this helps and try not to stress out too much.

who pays for all your flights and hotels during this process - 'cuz don't most people go to like ten places?

thanks

kreno

Members don't see this ad :)
You should count on paying all your own expenses regarding travel and lodging for residency interviews. There are very few programs that will pay for your hotel and even fewer that will pay for your airfare (but these are definitely the exception and not the rule).

Most people I know went on about 10 interviews. However, the range is about 5-15 depending on how competitive your specialty of choice is.

You pay all the traveling expenses. There were those in my class who accepted way too many interviews and spent several thousands of dollars unnecessarily.

For multiple reasons, I recommend you honestly assess yourself. Sit down with someone who will be honest with you about your competitiveness and set realistic goals. Think of programs (or specialties) in 3 tiers. Your dream spot, your realistic spots and your backups.

Work hard now it you'll clearly give yourself more options.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. To tell you the truth, I'm not stressing out. I just want to play this right. BTW, I hope you can keep your comments coming.

Also, what's AOA?

AOA is Alpha Omega Alpha. It is the medical school honor society. Most school have a chapter. While exact selection criteria vary a a little school-by-school, members are always near the top of their class.