Med School Prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndSong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I wanted your advice on my prospects into getting into med school. I am 20 year old student, 6th year Biology Major with a minor in Math. I went to college early (age 14) but the program that accepted me was a Cal State school. I have a 3.74 GPA and am currently taking Princeton Review. I got a 8 PS 7 VR N 10 BS on my first diagnostic cold attempt (took it in June). I can definitely boost up my PS score since I got 81% on inorganic chemistry, but a 50% in Physics (I took Physics 6 years ago). I think I can definitely boost up my physics score. I haven't finished organic chemistry yet, still on Ochem 2 but I'll be finished by the August test so I think my BS score can go up as well. I have 2 summers of research experience in computers and molecular biology and have volunteered in an ER for the past year. My ECs are also pretty good.

I'm studying about 5 hrs a day with Princeton Review Materials, ExamCrackers, Kaplan and AAMC materials. Should I try and do the August test? I'm aiming to get into top tier 1 or tier 2 schools with Stanford and Yale being my top choice. Or should I try and study up some more and take the April? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say go for it, my first cold test was 5 5 10 J and I got a 9 10 11 Q on my real MCAT. I took PR review as well, and believe me they prepare you well. So just study hard, then it will pay off and by the look of it, you will do a lot better than I did. If I could pull a 30 Q out of nowhere, you certainly could do at the least a 33

EndSong said:
Hi Everyone

I wanted your advice on my prospects into getting into med school. I am 20 year old student, 6th year Biology Major with a minor in Math. I went to college early (age 14) but the program that accepted me was a Cal State school. I have a 3.74 GPA and am currently taking Princeton Review. I got a 8 PS 7 VR N 10 BS on my first diagnostic cold attempt (took it in June). I can definitely boost up my PS score since I got 81% on inorganic chemistry, but a 50% in Physics (I took Physics 6 years ago). I think I can definitely boost up my physics score. I haven't finished organic chemistry yet, still on Ochem 2 but I'll be finished by the August test so I think my BS score can go up as well. I have 2 summers of research experience in computers and molecular biology and have volunteered in an ER for the past year. My ECs are also pretty good.

I'm studying about 5 hrs a day with Princeton Review Materials, ExamCrackers, Kaplan and AAMC materials. Should I try and do the August test? I'm aiming to get into top tier 1 or tier 2 schools with Stanford and Yale being my top choice. Or should I try and study up some more and take the April? Thanks

You went to college at 14? How old are you now?

Members don't see this ad :)
EndSong said:
Hi Everyone

April; you need more time, in my opinion, than the August MCAT will allow.

KingTutATL said:
You went to college at 14? How old are you now?

His post says he's 20.

If you are going for schools like Stanford and Yale, I would say that you should definitely wait until the April MCAT. From now until then, study your ass off. :) Good luck.

BrettBatchelor said:
In 6 years just a major and a minor?

I came in with 30 AP credits, needed 90 more credits if I wanted to major in bio

To graduate in 3 years,
6 semesters @ 15 credit/ semester to graduate in 3 years,
To graduate in 2 years
4 semesters @ 60 credits/4 semesters + 2 summers (30 credits)

Well, I didn't major in bio, but I can see how the OP stayed 6 years, if he/she were trying to find what to study or had a medical crisis.

In 4/5 years many people in my school get a MS/BS and a double major/minor.

I agree with you. I came in with a large amount of credits. In four years, I could either do double major or 1 major and 4 minors. Also BS/MS.