Med School: Rural or Urban?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What setting do you want for your medical school?

• Big city, baby! I need the nightlife, the poeple, the fun!

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • I'll take the scenery and the outdoors. Cities are TOO stuffy!

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Who cares, it's all the same when you're in the library 24/7.

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UseUrHeadFred

Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing that people seem to either apply solely to urban schools (NYC, Cali) or more rural schools (Vermont, Creighton). Is this intentional, or just a fluke?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to mainly urban schools, especially in the south.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
yeah but thats cuz you are a humidity loving fruitcase

LOL

Humidity really sucks. I don't know how people deal with that.

I said big city but it looks like I'll end up in the country. Oh well.

Cerberus said:
yeah but thats cuz you are a humidity loving fruitcase

Ill take humidity over snow any day of the week.

Then again, its better than burning money on out-of-state state schools.

Eraserhead said:
LOL

Humidity really sucks. I don't know how people deal with that.

Actually, Im surprised people can live in California. Its hot as heck, everything is freaking expensive, transportation is terrible, and it has the worst air in the US. And instead of having the laidback personality of the South or Midwest, its basically full of New York-style personalities.

Someone else voted for rural! WoOOoOT!

$$$$$

Gleevec said:
Actually, Im surprised people can live in California. Its hot as heck, everything is freaking expensive, transportation is terrible, and it has the worst air in the US. And instead of having the laidback personality of the South or Midwest, its basically full of New York-style personalities.
Um...California is a really big state, I'm surprised you can generalize like that. The weather in norther California is nice and moderate, for those who are lucky enough to get into UCSF or Stanford. Hardly anyone smokes, and people are known for being really easygoing - it's the sunshine! :)

Urban Schools=Lots of different things to do on freetime, fine selection of ladies to hook-up with/date..etc during school :laugh:

Rural= less of what the urban has to offer :sleep:

Creighton might have the perception of being rural but it isn't really.........yes, if you step one foot out of Omaha, there are miles and miles of cornfields. I never step outside of Omaha though. Omaha's population is about 800,000 so it's not that small. I kinda think a midsized town is good for medical school cause it has everything you need and some distractions. If there were too many distractions, it might affect how much you study, which for me, would not be good.

Jetson

See, my big thing is, I'm an amateur astronomer, it's my favorite hobby. I know there's little free time during Med School. From my perspective that means you have to be able to "do stuff" on short notice.

If I'm living in a big city, it might take an hour drive to get to a dark area. Might as well be a day.

St. Louis is the only exception. I've lived around that city my whole life, a lot of my friends live in the area, they get a "home team discount". I might be the only person on this board whose FIRST CHOICE is SLU!

The most important thing when choosing a location for school is whether you'll be happy and have your sanity at the end of the 4 years--if SLU provides this, then it might be a better chioce than a school in the big city.

I like to feel like I am living in the country even though I live in the city. For instance, my current apartment is right off of a nature trail and is fairly quiet but I am still able to bike to campus instead of drive.