Med Schools for Engineers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.LongTermPlan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been told about medical schools, or specific programs at medical schools, that target those with engineering/technical degrees. For example, Carle Illinois College of Medicine requires matriculants to have taken courses such as Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, etc. Also, Texas A&M has the ENMED Medical School Program.

I'm having trouble finding specific applicant/matriculant data on these schools/programs. Since the pool of applicants so much smaller, would an engineering student have a better chance of acceptance at these programs, as opposed to a medical school requiring only traditional pre-med prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

I think yes, it increases your chances there. It might help you to know that although Texas A&M in general uses the TMDSAS application, for EnMed you can also apply through AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
I've recently been told about medical schools, or specific programs at medical schools, that target those with engineering/technical degrees. For example, Carle Illinois College of Medicine requires matriculants to have taken courses such as Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, etc. Also, Texas A&M has the ENMED Medical School Program.

I'm having trouble finding specific applicant/matriculant data on these schools/programs. Since the pool of applicants so much smaller, would an engineering student have a better chance of acceptance at these programs, as opposed to a medical school requiring only traditional pre-med prerequisites?
I've interviewed in the past the admissions directors for both these programs. For EnMed, you do need an undergraduate degree in engineering or comp sci.

I believe an engineering student who also has meets the requirements that all pre-meds meet would have an advantage at these programs. You would have an easier time showing fit with their mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user