Med students who got in via Master's route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilygee123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I went to an average university in North Jersey and graduated 5 years with a GPA of 2.9. I got my Bachelor's of Science in Biology with a minor in chemistry. My professors really sucked and the lack of teaching invoked a depression and lack of motivation in me so my GPA showed it. However, I got into a Master's program in Biological Sciences in Philly. If I happen to do remarkably well in my studies for example achieving at least a 3.6+ GPA could I be okay for medical school standards? I would literally go anywhere on the east coast. I read a lot of people being very negative about taking the Master's in Biology route and I am terrified that maybe I made a mistake with going this route? I figured why do a post-bacc? What if I get a bad GPA with that too? However I am also looking at the bright side, what if my research based Master's would help me? So yeah, anyone who has gone through the Master's route and got into medical school please tell me how you did this?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you say it's a research based masters I'm assuming it's not a SMP? If so, it's not going to really help your low GPA. Graduate degrees often inflate grades, with a C being a failing grade in many programs. Because of this, not much weight is put on GPA in non-SMP masters programs.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I went to an average university in North Jersey and graduated 5 years with a GPA of 2.9. I got my Bachelor's of Science in Biology with a minor in chemistry. My professors really sucked and the lack of teaching invoked a depression and lack of motivation in me so my GPA showed it. However, I got into a Master's program in Biological Sciences in Philly. If I happen to do remarkably well in my studies for example achieving at least a 3.6+ GPA could I be okay for medical school standards? I would literally go anywhere on the east coast. I read a lot of people being very negative about taking the Master's in Biology route and I am terrified that maybe I made a mistake with going this route? I figured why do a post-bacc? What if I get a bad GPA with that too? However I am also looking at the bright side, what if my research based Master's would help me? So yeah, anyone who has gone through the Master's route and got into medical school please tell me how you did this?

Hopefully one of the adcoms will weigh in here, but from what I understand, Master's GPA doesn't mean much, as they are often inflated. A post-bacc is more helpful, as it can show an upward trend and actually help raise your GPA. I know you may be nervous about doing poorly in a post-bacc, but wouldn't you rather find out now that maybe medicine isn't a good fit?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In what state do you reside? Some state's are "luckier" than others, where their in-state medical schools look highly upon a master's GPA.

So I went to school for Business and got a BS in it. I have a really good GPA and I want to know if there are any post bacc or masters programs that are career changers and would allow me to achieve my goal of becoming a registered dietician. I have a 3.6 + GPA as a BS in business student however I am aware that I would have to take a lot of science classes...what should I do? Are there post bacc's out there that would allow me to do this?

OP's other post.

Since you say it's a research based masters I'm assuming it's not a SMP? If so, it's not going to really help your low GPA. Graduate degrees often inflate grades, with a C being a failing grade in many programs. Because of this, not much weight is put on GPA in non-SMP masters programs.
It is a Master's in Biological Science

Does someone share your account? That other post is, in fact, yours.

Does someone share your account? That other post is, in fact, yours.
Yeah someone else shares it HOWEVER THIS IS GETTING OFF TOPIC.

but what are the risks of going down that route though?

I am getting a MASTERS IN BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES THIS YEAR. If I do well, could I apply to medical school?!?! My resume is also pretty good, doing research this year, worked with mentally disabled individuals, taught children, and worked as an emergency service volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting a MASTERS IN BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES THIS YEAR. If I do well, could I apply to medical school?!?! My resume is also pretty good, doing research this year, worked with mentally disabled individuals, taught children, and worked as an emergency service volunteer.
What's your MCAT?

2.9 is really bad for med schools. You're far better off retaking college classes you did poorly in and applying to do schools utilizing grade replacement. Would recommend dropping out of the master's program before you start

2.9 is really bad for med schools. You're far better off retaking college classes you did poorly in and applying to do schools utilizing grade replacement. Would recommend dropping out of the master's program before you start
Agreed. Especially paired with a not stellar MCAT. Grade replacement + DO is probably the best route for you.

I am not going to drop out of my Master's Program that is geared for people to do well before applying to higher education..

Wait so literally what was the point of this post???

But anyway. I did a master's at a medical school and have been accepted to med school. I had a 3.2 uGPA and a 502, with a 3.9 in my master's. If you're going to do it, you have to knock it out of the freaking park. Are you at the one at UMDNJ?

Wait so literally what was the point of this post???
The point of this post, dear, is that I wanted MED STUDENTS WHO GOT IN WITH A MASTERS, to tell me their experiences and from what I can, you definitely did not get into medical school via this route so why are you posting?

The point of this post, dear, is that I wanted MED STUDENTS WHO GOT IN WITH A MASTERS, to tell me their experiences and from what I can, you definitely did not get into medical school via this route so why are you posting?
I 100% did get into medical school via this route. LITERALLY ADMITTED.

Reactions: 2 users
But anyway. I did a master's at a medical school and have been accepted to med school. I had a 3.2 uGPA and a 502, with a 3.9 in my master's. If you're going to do it, you have to knock it out of the freaking park. Are you at the one at UMDNJ?
THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY BEING RELEVANT IN YOUR POSTS. I went to Fairleigh Dickinson University (****ty professors) and got into a Masters program at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia. The Master's Program is specific when it states that it is to help those students apply to either medical school or other medically related programs...I had a bad GPA in college, obviously, I take account for it. HOWEVER, to get into medical school on the east coast, what GPA should I aim for when I do this prgram? My resume is wonderful but I need to get my school related things handled.

I 100% did get into medical school via this route. LITERALLY ADMITTED.

"The M.A. program is a non-thesis degree and may be pursued on a part-time basis. Students are often seeking to improve their academic credentials in order to pursue admission to a professional school program, for promotion within the secondary education system, or within corporate settings. While the M.A. program is designed around traditional classroom experiences, students are also encouraged to participate in original research with biology faculty members."

So if you don't get in after the Master's, will that also be your "****ty professors" fault?

I get it. It's the same deal as my program. Aim for a 4.0 but at the very least 3.8+

Did you do the new MCAT? What did you get?
I got a 502, it's my only MCAT attempt. Like I said, I had a 3.2 uGPA, 3.9 gGPA and 502 MCAT. Currently have 4 interviews and 1 acceptance.

I got a 502, it's my only MCAT attempt. Like I said, I had a 3.2 uGPA, 3.9 gGPA and 502 MCAT. Currently have 4 interviews and 1 acceptance.
wow I read that too fast, excuse my rudeness, I have just been feeling hopeless.

wow I read that too fast, excuse my rudeness, I have just been feeling hopeless.
Don't worry, I get it. Just put your head down and knock your master's + MCAT out of the park. That's all you can do right now!

THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY BEING RELEVANT IN YOUR POSTS. I went to Fairleigh Dickinson University (****ty professors) and got into a Masters program at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia. The Master's Program is specific when it states that it is to help those students apply to either medical school or other medically related programs...I had a bad GPA in college, obviously, I take account for it. HOWEVER, to get into medical school on the east coast, what GPA should I aim for when I do this prgram? My resume is wonderful but I need to get my school related things handled.

The first thing you need to do is check your attitude. You got several good answers from people who know what they are talking about, including someone who literally did what you are trying to do (I see that you apologized). If your first reaction to anything other than exactly what you are hoping to hear is to be defensive and rude, you aren't going to get very far on this path (or in life).

Since no one else has chimed in yet to be helpful about your attitude in the first post - this is not going to help you get in to medical school:
My professors really sucked and the lack of teaching invoked a depression and lack of motivation in me so my GPA showed it.
When asked about your poor undergrad performance, you want to say something along the lines of "I struggled with motivation issues, but I had a turning point when I realized... and turned it around." You don't want to blame your professors, school, or environment for your performance. Don't get defensive, just reflect on this while you move forward. You need to show them maturity and how you have changed in your response - why you will be able to handle medical school - let alone whether you the type of person they want.

I hate to sound harsh, but this sounds like an excuse, not an explanation.

So, I went to an average university in North Jersey and graduated 5 years with a GPA of 2.9. I got my Bachelor's of Science in Biology with a minor in chemistry. My professors really sucked and the lack of teaching invoked a depression and lack of motivation in me so my GPA showed it.

If this is an SMP where the coursework is like medical school, then yes. But for MD schools, you'll need to ace MCAT as well.
However, I got into a Master's program in Biological Sciences in Philly. If I happen to do remarkably well in my studies for example achieving at least a 3.6+ GPA could I be okay for medical school standards?

That's because research MS degrees have a lot of grade inflation. Beside, what's the rigor of a course like "DNA Techniques" or "Seminars in Neuroscience"? So yes, it's high risk.high reward, since it's an audition for med school
I would literally go anywhere on the east coast. I read a lot of people being very negative about taking the Master's in Biology route and I am terrified that maybe I made a mistake with going this route?

Then your medical career is over.
I figured why do a post-bacc? What if I get a bad GPA with that too?

A research MS won't help you get into an MD school, but will be OK for DO schools. And if Medicine isn't for you, then you have a backup career. Good lab techs are always hard to find.
However I am also looking at the bright side, what if my research based Master's would help me? So yeah, anyone who has gone through the Master's route and got into medical school please tell me how you did this?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2 users
Not at all...I need educated answers please.

What you need is a new caps lock button.

My professors really sucked and the lack of teaching invoked a depression and lack of motivation in me so my GPA showed it.

Fact of life, if it seems like everyone else is the problem, more then likely, its you. And your sure that this program that the professors aren't going to "suck"?

I am not going to drop out of my Master's Program that is geared for people to do well before applying to higher education..

Then you made this thread just for self-affirmation?

With your complete lack of awareness, I doubt you will be getting into medical school anytime soon. No fear though, there's a path for people like you, its called the Caribbean's.

I'll never understand why people share accounts. It's free and it takes 2 min to make one.

Goro's addressed most points, so I'll just add a bit of advice for you moving forward: blaming your professors won't get you far. In graduate school the onus will be on you to learn the material, it's (usually) a much more independent type of learning compared to undergrad. Take responsibility for your education.

Best of luck.

A post bac is literally for the same exact thing and will actually address your weakness

I earned a masters degree before applying for medical school (because I wanted more research time, not to boost my GPA), but I think what other people have said is right on in terms of grade inflation.

Unless your program is a postbacc type that will allow you to repeat classes you have done poorly in (and apply with grade replacement), or a SMP that will allow you to take a medical school's classes and potentially excel, I really don't see how this MS program will help you. One thing that you have to realize is that in MS or PhD land, people don't usually care about grades at all - there is a cutoff GPA required for staying in the program but if you're above that line, your grades never impact you in any way. That means that professors tend to give everyone As unless they are really outstandingly terrible. So...if you earn a 3.8-4.0, that's average for an MS. Anything less than that raises eyebrows. Medical schools know this. My undergrad GPA was good, and several med school interviewers commented on it. Several also told me that they didn't even remotely care about my masters GPA.

Your GPA is too low. A master's would be a waste of time and money unless you can see yourself working in the field you get a master's in.

Retake classes (make all A's) and apply DO. M.S. grades matter little. I had a 3.3 in undergrad, made a 3.9 in a SMP, had an MCAT at/above the mean of all schools applying...and got into one school, the one I did my M.S. at.

Don't mean to be harsh too but I just don't see a way to M.D. with that low of a GPA. You would waste a lot of time and money.

Indeed. The point of an SMP is to show that the you of now is not the you of then, and that you can handle med school.

generally, most masters do not significantly help overcome a weak undergraduate GPA. Even an SMP does not technically do this, though it acts as an "audition" for medical school course work. A hardcore traditional research based biology masters will be looked upon better than most other masters (other than SMP) but its hard to say if it will be enough to overcome an initial screening with a 2.9 GPA. Also without knowing the masters school, it is hard to get any idea what the perceived quality might be by an adcom