medical license question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dire Straits

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as i've been told you need something called a "training/temporary" license while doing residency. does this get converted to a full license once you finish residency or do you have to apply for a full license after finishing residency? can you get a full license while still a resident (i.e. after passing step3)?

Members don't see this ad.

you start off getting a temp license for the intern year. then once you pass step III, you can apply for a full license (the process itself of applying can take a very long time, i've heard from several months to a year).

Dire Straits said:
as i've been told you need something called a "training/temporary" license while doing residency. does this get converted to a full license once you finish residency or do you have to apply for a full license after finishing residency? can you get a full license while still a resident (i.e. after passing step3)?

It varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania you are required to have BOTH licenses once you become eligible for the MD license (ie, after passing Step 3). The cost of the Medical Training (MT) license isn't much ($15 per year) and our program does the paperwork, but I'm not sure I understand the need to have both. And while the application for the full and unrestricted license was much more lengthy than for the MT, it only took a few weeks to process mine and have it in my hand.

For requirements regarding who is eligible for a full and unrestricted medical license, check out the state in question at the Federation of State Medical Boards: http://www.fsmb.org

There are special circumstances such as FMGs are usually required to have more GME than American grads before they can apply for the unrestricted license. Since in some states the requirement is 3 years, you may very well be done with residency before you can apply for the license; however, in longer residencies (ie, surgery) you would get it before finishing.

In CA there's no such thing as a training license. You can't prescribe until you get a real license so you have to get someone to sign all your scripts. It's a pain. Once you take Step 3 you can apply and get your actual, unrestriced license. Then you can do whatever you want within the limits set by your residency.