Medical School Paid For By Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question: Does the military residency count towards your real residency? Do you serve after your residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Those doing a military residency are on active duty (AD). These years on AD will count towards years of service and retirement. However, you can not pay back training with training, therefore medical school payback time does not start until residency is completed.

Military residency? Do you mean GMO?

Ya know....the quickest route would be to do a search of the stickies.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am not talking about being a GMO. The Army and the Air Force have pretty much gotten rid of GMOs. The Air Force is even limiting people who are flight docs as GMOs. They have realized that you are much more valuable to them as a board certified physician than as a GMO. However, the Navy still uses them. I have virtually no worry about becoming a GMO. Most people who become a GMO in the Air Force are people trying to accrue board points for a super-competitive residency.

All three of the services have residency programs similar to their civilian counterparts. The Joint Graduate Medical Education Board meets the week after Thanksgiving each year to assign applicants to those positions in all three services.

So what are “these positions”? Each spring the medical powers-that-be in the Air Force meet and determine how many physicians of each specialty will be needed when that year group completes its training. There are a set number of positions at the military training programs, so the rest are deferred positions. The Air Force is unique in that, unlike the Army and Navy, they only have about half the residency positions it needs to train its physicians, and consequently has the highest number of deferred positions.

tec,
The question wasn't to you. I know about military residency and what not. The OP does not have the slightest clue. They would be better served looking for the information than getting it handed to them. If this is an indication of things to come in their military service.....well it ain't gonna be pretty.

Crooz he wasnt asking anything about GMO'S the OP was asking whether or not a military residency was like me taking a EM residency at UMASS, and the answer is yes, what ever residency you take while in the service will allow you to become board certified anywhere. they are all accredited by the same people and allow you to sit for the boards in that specialty